Unanswered: Microsoft SQL Server Login problem

Hi,

I have been experiencing this problem since long time. Its bit of hit and miss this error is !!!! I am trying to connect to this database using ODBC connection which is on a different server and a different domain. On a very good day i.e. if I am in early I can get connected easily without any problems and I will be connected to that database whole day long!!! which is what amazes me. But if I connect to this database a little later than when I usually connects then it gives me the error. The error is as follows:

Connection failed:
    SQL State: '01000'
    SQL Server Error:53
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).

Connection failed:
    SQL State: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 17
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Is there any problem with my laptop or the server???? I really don't understand....Please can some help me.

Provided Answers: 11
    That is a good question.

When you can not connect to the server, can you even ping it, or resolve the IP address of the machine?

Are you using SQL Authentication, or is there a trust between these domains?

If you are using Windows authentication, are there any event log entries on your machine relating to Kerberos authentication?

I am afraid I can not come up with a theory just yet, so sorry for the blatant fishing.

Provided Answers: 59
    could it be a licencsing issue?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I don't think it would be. When an evaluation edition copy of SQL Server runs out of time, it simply will not start anymore. And I don't think that any of the Evaluation or Express editions were ever limited to number of concurrent connections, but number of concurrent queries/requests. I can't think of any windows policies that could display this behaviour (and be consistent), so I am reduced to thinking this is somehow related to load on the DNS or DC servers. Which domain is further muddied, since there are two of them in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    That is a good question.

When you can not connect to the server, can you even ping it, or resolve the IP address of the machine?

Are you using SQL Authentication, or is there a trust between these domains?

If you are using Windows authentication, are there any event log entries on your machine relating to Kerberos authentication?

I am afraid I can not come up with a theory just yet, so sorry for the blatant fishing.
    Hi,

No I cannot ping it! but I am surprised when its connected and when I try to ping it, it comes back as "Request timed out"

I am using SQL Authentication.....Luckily tried for couple hours and I eventually got connected at 11:30 am.

yeah I know !! I think I know which domain is muddied!!! probably the domain server in our office !!! that has always been a problem!!!

Ahh. The plot thins! You may have a network bandwidth issue. Since you get "Request Timed Out", that means the name was resolved to an IP address successfully, but the network packets are either blocked or dropped along the way. Since you normally can get connected and stay connected, this implies there is nothing actively blocking you (such as a firewall). The next step would likely be to ask the network team for some help, or to do a trace route command (tracert) to see if you can figure out where the network traffic dies off. To mitigate this, and if you have control of the application you are running, you can up the ConnectTimeout parameter on the Connection object to see if that gets you up and running in fewer tries. The default is 30 seconds, so up it to 60, and see how it goes.

I tried pinging as well, it goes quite well from my home to the internet router well and it reaches the other domain router well as well and when it tries to connect to the ip address it says request timed out. When spoken to our IT department they said that Database where it is hosted have hidden the IP address hence no one cant connect to it outside the work. But having spoken to my manager it looks like Internet provider have tried to unblock it but still we cant connect to it other than work.

You are right in saying that network traffic can cause sometime to work and sometimes not to work....will still searching for solution. I am not convinced that IP address cannot be unblocked if we have to work from home.