Are all databases organised in tables and fields ?

I am only familiar with MySQL myself and i would like to know if there are databases (applications) that do not follow the traditional structure of: Database - Tables - Fields .

The background of my question is that i am about to develop an application of my own that will allow for the documentation of a database structure, amongst other things. I am wondering if ' DB - Table - Field ' will work for all database systems so that i can have a sense if i will be able to easily create versions for databases other than MySQL.

Thanks.

All relational databases (including SQL databases) use the structure that you've described, but there are many other ways to organize a database. MUMPS, Pick, and HADOOP jump right to mind, but there are many other variations.

If you belong to the ACM, I would suggest reviewing some of the papers in Transactions on Database Systems to get more insight into database designs and structures.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Ok, so i need to talk specifically about Relational Databases and then Database - Table - Column should fit all.

There are many alternatives indeed, looks like i got some reading to do....
    NoSQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks.

Those noSQL things are specialized tools for specialized jobs. I would not use a shovel to go mountain top mining and I would not use dynamite to dig a fence post. In the same theme I would not use a noSQL tool to solve an RDBMS problem and vice versa. noSQL is not a better mouse trap. It is a trap for different vermin.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.