Red face Unanswered: Postgres DB migration Issue

Hi dear members,
    I am new postgresSQL, still trying to get the knowledge. As per client requirement I need to migrate postgres DB to new server, but I am having trouble doing that and couldn’t find any help,
    Following are the summery what I am facing and some details I have gathered,
    1. Old psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 , OS - SUN 5.9
    2. New postgres version 8.2, OS – SUN 5.10

# pkginfo | grep post
    GNOME2 SUNWgnome-ps-viewer GNOME post script viewer - platform dependent files, /usr filesystem
    GNOME2 SUNWgnome-ps-viewer-root GNOME post script viewer - platform dependent files, / filesystem
    GNOME2 SUNWgnome-ps-viewer-share GNOME post script viewer - platform independent files, /usr/share
    system SUNWj3cfg SUNWj3rt post configuration
    system SUNWpostgr PostgreSQL 8.1.19 client programs and libraries
    system SUNWpostgr-82-client PostgreSQL 8.2 client tools
    system SUNWpostgr-82-contrib PostgreSQL 8.2 community contributed tools not part of core product
    system SUNWpostgr-82-devel PostgreSQL 8.2 development tools and header files
    system SUNWpostgr-82-docs PostgreSQL 8.2 documentation and man pages
    system SUNWpostgr-82-jdbc JDBC 3 driver for PostgreSQL 8.2
    system SUNWpostgr-82-libs PostgreSQL 8.2 client libraries
    system SUNWpostgr-82-pl PostgreSQL 8.2 additional Perl, Python & TCL server procedural languages
    system SUNWpostgr-82-server PostgreSQL 8.2 database server
    system SUNWpostgr-82-server-data-root PostgreSQL 8.2 database server data directories and root components
    system SUNWpostgr-82-tcl Tcl binding library for PostgreSQL 8.2
    system SUNWpostgr-83-client PostgreSQL client tools
    system SUNWpostgr-83-contrib PostgreSQL community contributed tools not part of core product
    system SUNWpostgr-83-devel PostgreSQL development tools and header files
    system SUNWpostgr-83-docs PostgreSQL documentation and man pages
    system SUNWpostgr-83-libs PostgreSQL client libraries
    system SUNWpostgr-83-pl PostgreSQL additional Perl, Python & TCL server procedural languages
    system SUNWpostgr-83-server PostgreSQL database server
    system SUNWpostgr-83-server-data-root PostgreSQL database server data directories and root components
    system SUNWpostgr-83-tcl Tcl binding library for PostgreSQL
    system SUNWpostgr-contrib Contributed source and binaries distributed with PostgreSQL 8.1.19
    system SUNWpostgr-devel PostgreSQL 8.1.19 development header files and libraries
    system SUNWpostgr-docs Extra documentation for PostgreSQL 8.1.19
    system SUNWpostgr-jdbc JDBC drivers for PostgreSQL
    system SUNWpostgr-libs The shared libraries required for any PostgreSQL 8.1.19 clients
    system SUNWpostgr-pl The PL procedural languages for PostgreSQL 8.1.19
    system SUNWpostgr-server The programs needed to create and run a PostgreSQL 8.1.19 server
    system SUNWpostgr-server-data The data directories needed to create and run a PostgreSQL 8.1.19 server
    system SUNWpostgr-tcl A Tcl client library for PostgreSQL
    system SUNWpostgr-upgrade Tools to upgrade from older PostgreSQL versions
    GNOME2 SUNWpostrun Delayed execution environment for procedural package scripts
    GNOME2 SUNWpostrun-root Delayed execution environment for procedural package scripts - / filesystem
    #

The Command used to start DB,
    $ pg_ctl start -l /tmp/pglog.txt -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
    pg_ctl: another postmaster may be running; trying to start postmaster anyway
    pg_ctl: could not start postmaster
    Examine the log output.
    $

The log file output,

$ cat pglog.txt
    FATAL: unrecognized configuration parameter "syslog"
    $

You feedback's are mostly welcome.

You are aware that version 8.2 support ended December 2011, correct?

You might want to stage the upgrades; Instead of going all the way from 7.4 to 8.2, instead go 7.4 to 8.0, and then a separate upgrade of 8.0 to 8.2

Take a look at the 8.0 documentation, at the upgrade notes for upgrading from previous versions.

Major version upgrades require a dump of the old database, followed by a database restore to the new server.

Dumping in ascii, while bulky, allows you to view (and potentially edit) the dump file.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chamith1982 View Post
    1. Old psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.5 , OS - SUN 5.9
    2. New postgres version 8.2, OS – SUN 5.10
    Why would you want to update to an already outdated, deprecated and unsupported version?

If you are upgrading now (in 2014) you should upgrade to 9.x. The current version is 9.3 with 9.4 being "on the doorstep".

It makes absolutely no sense in "upgrading" to 8.2 today.
    I will not read nor answer questions where the SQL code is messy and not formatted properly using [code] tags: http://www.dbforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#code

Tips for good questions:

http://tkyte.blogspot.de/2005/06/how...questions.html
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
    http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html