Unanswered: Comparing different columns to FIND same Customer Name and then do Conditional Copy P

I have got 2 lists in 2 separate sheets in the same excel file. The Small list has got 20 Customer Names in it and the Big list has got 50 Customer Names in it.

I need to compare the names given in the BIG List, with the names given in the SMALL List and then if there is a match of name, then copy paste the values from Product A to the corresponding Product A in another sheet and so on for other products as well.

If some Name is not present in the Small list, then the formula should write “NOT FOUND” in front of that name in the Big List, in Product A Column and leave other columns empty.

What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks a lot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails - Comparison.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Will it be possible to do this work by using the INDEX Formula -

INDEX Formula in Excel - How to use it, tips & examples | Chandoo.org - Learn Microsoft Excel Online

Regards

Provided Answers: 59
    you can do this using VBA
    but the problem is that with spreadsheets its all to easy to change soemthign that breaks the code

you can get round that in part by using named ranges (effectivley anchor points)

but the problem as I see it, wearing my hat as a db developer is that you are stroing data in a spreadsheet, whihc is at best dodgy and at worst downright dangerous.

dodgy becuase only one person can make changes at any one time. its easy to get lockouts. dodgy becuase you cna make a change to the spreadsheet and it will do its best to recover but may well screw up other things. (inserting columns/rows or cells can really screw up a spreasheet, and becuase its so easy to do, so easy to use it happens frequently, but you may not see thge effect of that change till a long way down the line if ever.

moral of the tale:-
    dont use spreadsheets to store data, use them to analyse, to tinker with, to model but not as the primary data source
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    you can do this using VBA
    but the problem is that with spreadsheets its all to easy to change soemthign that breaks the code

you can get round that in part by using named ranges (effectivley anchor points)

but the problem as I see it, wearing my hat as a db developer is that you are stroing data in a spreadsheet, whihc is at best dodgy and at worst downright dangerous.

dodgy becuase only one person can make changes at any one time. its easy to get lockouts. dodgy becuase you cna make a change to the spreadsheet and it will do its best to recover but may well screw up other things. (inserting columns/rows or cells can really screw up a spreasheet, and becuase its so easy to do, so easy to use it happens frequently, but you may not see thge effect of that change till a long way down the line if ever.

moral of the tale:-
    dont use spreadsheets to store data, use them to analyse, to tinker with, to model but not as the primary data source
    Thanks healdem, they are all valid points.