Question Database Design for tracking document signature

hello,
    i am new to this forum.
    i am looking for some help in designing a database system for a document tracker. it is a training project for me to develop my database design abilities for my new job.
    i am a newbie to the database design, although i have dome some basic ones in the past on my courses. but it was simpler ones like library system, purchase system, university system(student,lecturer,courses..).
    The scenario is as follows.
    "The Document Tracker was developed to provide an easy way to determine the physical location of paper documents that are being routed for signatures. Information is stored about each document that is being tracked, so this information can be retrieved at any time based on various search criteria. You can retrieve information about each stop a document makes in its routing path, identifying where and when it stopped, when it was sent on, and to whom it was sent. Users at a certain Access Level can define standard routing paths, which can subsequently be displayed as guidelines for routing. Information about the users of the software and the units involved in the tracking process is also stored, and can be retrieved by users at a certain Access Level.
    In order for the tracking process to work, each document must be entered into the system when it is created, and logged in and out of each physical location as it is being routed. The path a document follows as it is being routed from unit to unit is referred to as the "External Routing Path". Optionally, the "Internal Routing Path" within a unit may also be tracked. For internal routing, each person in the internal routing path must log the document in when they receive it and log it out when they pass it on. Friendly reminders, via e-mail, may be automatically sent to units or people who have held a document for too long, to encourage the routing of documents in a timely manner.
    "
    If anyone can help please see attached document, of the case in question , and what i've been working on, and see if am on right track or what are my mistakes.
    Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Talking Why not use SharePoint?

Rather than redesign the wheel why not leverage a free system (SPS foundation is free) that was designed to track document workflows? I do realize you are trying to build a skill set but if this is needed for work then you may want to suggest this and tackle a different business process.

only using for practice

it was given only to be used as a practice...
    i Did database as a Unit, part of my BSc Course, 4 yrs ago, havent had any practice since then.
    just trying to get back into it.
    its what i was given for practice.
    have some difficulty working out how to go about doing the routing.

Sql?

Are you using MSSQL? If so, you can use SQL mail to email the user that they have a document that needs to be reviewed. Are you storing the documents in SQL or a network share?

still in design

still trying to figue the design.
    its the routing(Entity) part(views) that i dont know how to go about, how to break it down.
    how to make the routing path and Tracking from one person to another. As there suppose to be a routing guideline, internal and external routing path.
    I am thinking for example ,Lets say a document ,documentId 12345 , of documentType 789, have to go through these 5 person.
    STOPS
    1 -----------------------> 2 -------------------------> 3 ----------------
    Officer2 Officer3 Officer5

--------> 4 ------------------------> 5
    Officer1 Officer8

how do i go about making a view for that from the routing entity, how do i split it into tables. so that it can make up the path.

I think 2 tables would be sufficient. One table (Control) that holds the docID, docType, docStatus, timeStamp. Your second table (Transactions) would store docTransactions. So each time the document goes to a new route, you would store a transaction then update the docStatus in your control table. Your front end would have to be web based since you mentioned external users would be part of the process. You could easily use a .Net datagrid to display your docs as well as a digital paper trail form the transactions table. I hope that helps.

full scenario

here is the full scenario
    Attached Files Attached Files