Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: IBM data studio not connecting to local DB2 databases

I have installed DB2 10.5 version on my local Ubuntu 12.04 Machine. Now i need a GUI. I already tried squirrel-sql & Db-Visualizer. While Db-Visualizer give me the view-only database structure, squirrel-sql give me some more options to manage. But now I need a DB2 administrator tool, which can handle all this tasks plus backup/restore, import/export etc.

I have listen a lot for IBM Data Studio as de-facto tool for DB2. So I installed it. After install completion, I am unable connect to my DB2 databases/schemas. It is surprise As I am easily can connect my Dbs through squirrel-sql & Db-Visualizer but IBM Data Studio refuse to connect. It give following errors during try.

Full message content: [jcc][t4][2043][11550][4.17.30] Exception java.net.SocketException: Error opening socket to server localhost/127.0.0.1 on port 50,000 with message: Malformed reply from SOCKS server.

An attempt was made to access a database that was not found, has not been started, or does not support transactions.

Ensure that the specified database name exists in the system database directory. If the database name does not exist in the system database directory, either the database does not exist or the database name has not been cataloged. If needed, issue a db2start command and then resubmit the current command. SQL4499N A fatal error occurred that resulted in a disconnect from the data source. SQLSTATE: 08004

I have specified,

Local : Db2 for Linux, Unix & Windows
    Database : <mydbname>
    Host : localhost
    Port Number : 50000
    UserName : db2inst1
    Password : XXXXXX
    Default Schema : db2inst1

Anybody can suggest if extra steps needed to connect.

IBM data studio not connecting to local DB2 databases

I have installed DB2 10.5 version on my local Ubuntu 12.04 Machine. Now i need a GUI. I already tried squirrel-sql & Db-Visualizer. While Db-Visualizer give me the view-only database structure, squirrel-sql give me some more options to manage. But now I need a DB2 administrator tool, which can handle all this tasks plus backup/restore, import/export etc.

I have listen a lot for IBM Data Studio as de-facto tool for DB2. So I installed it. After install completion, I am unable connect to my DB2 databases/schemas. It is surprise As I am easily can connect my Dbs through squirrel-sql & Db-Visualizer but IBM Data Studio refuse to connect. It give following errors during try.

Full message content: [jcc][t4][2043][11550][4.17.30] Exception java.net.SocketException: Error opening socket to server localhost/127.0.0.1 on port 50,000 with message: Malformed reply from SOCKS server.

An attempt was made to access a database that was not found, has not been started, or does not support transactions.

Ensure that the specified database name exists in the system database directory. If the database name does not exist in the system database directory, either the database does not exist or the database name has not been cataloged. If needed, issue a db2start command and then resubmit the current command. SQL4499N A fatal error occurred that resulted in a disconnect from the data source. SQLSTATE: 08004

I have specified,

Local : Db2 for Linux, Unix & Windows
    Database : <mydbname>
    Host : localhost
    Port Number : 50000
    UserName : db2inst1
    Password : XXXXXX
    Default Schema : db2inst1

Anybody can suggest if extra steps needed to connect.

Provided Answers: 18
    Did you configure your DB2 instance parameter SVCENAME to a value that matches the service-name specified in /etc/services for your db2-instance? Also remember to set registry variable DB2COMM=tcpip. Refer to the online documentation for details, and bounce the db2-instance after setting these values.

Can you check if the tool called "db2ca" is present on your db2 v10.5 on ununtu. If it is then run it (a java gui opens), and test the Java connection from inside db2ca. It will use the jdbc driver supplied by db2 v10.5.

If this also fails (with the same error message about malformed reply from socks server) then it suggests to me some configuration issue with the jdbc driver supplied with the db2 v10.5. (Verify that your squirrel-sql and/or db-viz are not using the same jdbc driver as supplied with v10.5).

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    Did you configure your DB2 instance parameter SVCENAME to a value that matches the service-name specified in /etc/services for your db2-instance? Also remember to set registry variable DB2COMM=tcpip. Refer to the online documentation for details, and bounce the db2-instance after setting these values.
    Yes I setup both. These are the settings I get for SVCE & DB2COMM.

$ db2 get dbm cfg | grep SVCE
    TCP/IP Service name (SVCENAME) = 50000
    SSL service name (SSL_SVCENAME) =

$ cat profile.env
    DB2_COMPATIBILITY_VECTOR='MYS'
    DB2COMM='TCPIP'
    DB2AUTOSTART='YES'

Can you check if the tool called "db2ca" is present on your db2 v10.5 on ununtu. If it is then run it (a java gui opens), and test the Java connection from inside db2ca. It will use the jdbc driver supplied by db2 v10.5.

If this also fails (with the same error message about malformed reply from socks server) then it suggests to me some configuration issue with the jdbc driver supplied with the db2 v10.5. (Verify that your squirrel-sql and/or db-viz are not using the same jdbc driver as supplied with v10.5).
    No db2ca is not exists in my installation. If any similar package exists for DB2 10.5 luw ?

for some reason, the jvm used by data-studio is directing socket connections to a SOCKS server.

what are the system proxy settings? can you disable them temporarily to test?

grep -i proxy /etc/environment

env | grep -i proxy

for some reason, the jvm used by data-studio is directing socket connections to a SOCKS server.

what are the system proxy settings? can you disable them temporarily to test?

grep -i proxy /etc/environment

env | grep -i proxy
    I tried after disable proxy, But results are still same.

Which fixpack of db2 v10.5 are you running ?

Which version of DataStudio are you running (should be 4.1.0.1 ) ?

Try compiling and running the dbinfo.java (in the samples/java/jdbc ) , which will use the type-4 jdbc driver supplied with db2. If it works, it shows that the jdbc supplied by the db2 is working. Try to isolate the issue...to data studio.

Which fixpack of db2 v10.5 are you running ?

Which version of DataStudio are you running (should be 4.1.0.1 ) ?

Try compiling and running the dbinfo.java (in the samples/java/jdbc ) , which will use the type-4 jdbc driver supplied with db2. If it works, it shows that the jdbc supplied by the db2 is working. Try to isolate the issue...to data studio.
    DB2 version : 10.5.0.1
    Fixpack version : 1.
    IBM Data studio Version : 4.1.0.1

I am unable to find samples/java/jdbc directory. Which path it should exists ?

If you chose to install the samples during installation of db2, the the files are under the installation path for db2 ..
    Which edition of db2 v10.5 did you install?

If you chose to install the samples during installation of db2, the the files are under the installation path for db2 ..
    Which edition of db2 v10.5 did you install?
    I have samples folder in DB2 Installation Root. But that have following folders.

automaintcfg
    c
    db2sampl
    federated
    ha
    pd
    repl
    selinux

You see, no java/jdbc directory. I assume that I did not choose to install samples.

Provided Answers: 11
    all is in the books :
    IBM Knowledge Center
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Which edition of db2 v10.5 fp1 did you install ?

Which edition of db2 v10.5 fp1 did you install ?
    If you mean luw vs as400. I installed luw edition. If else please let me know. I am very new to DB2