Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Unanswered: Lost records when backend put on new server

    Hi gang, this is my first post so go easy on me.

    I've just taken over support for a 2003 MS Access application. There are three users, one of which is a 2010 machine, the two others are 2003. Things had been going swimmingly for about a year and a half without any support required at all.

    A couple of weeks ago I was asked to move the backend of this relatively sophisticated application to a new server. I did this without issue but was called back a couple of days later. Data had mysteriously gone missing!

    The records in question had been processed, proven by reports and secondary files being produced. However later the records later entirely disappeared.

    Parent
    28
    29
    30
    31x
    32x
    33
    34x

    Child
    28 ..
    28 ..
    29 ..
    30x ..
    31 ..
    31 ..
    32x ..
    32x ..
    33 ..
    33 ..
    34x ..
    34x ..


    x implies that that table entry has disappeared.

    The entries above are trying to demonstrate that the 30 entry remains in the parent table but the child's entries disappeared. The 31 parent disappeared but its children remain. Both 32 and 34 entries were completely scrubbed from both tables.

    I found out about this because the 31 parent disappearance broke referential integrity and brought down the system. I put the backend back-up back on the old server, re-entered the data and all became well.

    The new server is on a virtual OS the specific details of which are unknown to me. The tech assures me though plenty of resources are available and that other databases that are being hit a lot harder than ours are running just fine on the new system.

    Any ideas what the issue might be? Again, the records had to have been there at some point or the transactions couldn't have been processed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    check that all users front end are pointing to the correct new location
    check that all users are actually using the modified front end
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5
    Turned out replication was turned on at the server level even though the IT guys had endeavored to turn it off. That was what caused the data corruption.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •