Unanswered: Problem running post install step

Hello

I am trying to install PostgreSQL on my OS X Mavericks Server.

If i install with the data directory in the default location, I receive no errors, however, due to the fact that I will eventually have multiple databases that will be large in size, I need the data directory to be on my NAS server. Every time I try to install with the data directory on the NAS, I get the error:
    "problem running post-install step...the Database Cluster Initialisation failed"

I have searched for a solution to this problem with no luck. I have tried every single solution that google comes up with on this error with no luck. Lots of people mention a Log file, yet i'm unable to find one. Have been working on resolving this for nearly 10 hours with no success

I'm hoping someone can help me out

Some more info:

I was able to find the installer log. I attached it. It shows a permissions issue.

I've ensured that the user "postgres" has permissions in that folder, and the parent folders using "chmod 711" on the directory When I check, its shows this:

drwx------ 1 postgres staff 16384 16 Aug 14:51 Databases

I'm at a loss as to why I'm still getting a permissions error

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Although I'm not addressing the permissions issue, instead of installing EVERYTHING on the NAS (which will have considerably slower access times, especially seek times,) you might want to install the data directory per the standard installation. This will give you much better performance for metadata and smaller, frequently updated information, then add tablespace(s) on the NAS for your large data tables, indexes, etc. (Tablespaces are logical to physical storage mappings.) And, when creating the big tables and indexes, choose the NAS tablespace for these objects.

With this approach, you get the quicker access of your metadata and smaller, (often lookup or LOV) tables, which can give your database much better performance than it otherwise would have, and the very large data support of the external drives. You're not trapped in the 'big slow drive or small fast drive' quandry.

You might also want to consider the possibility of partitioned tables early on in the design, if you KNOW there will be a LOT of data in some tables.
    Last edited by loquin; 08-26-14 at 20:36.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert