Unanswered: pre-populate a form from one table but saving it into another

Hi,

I need advice on how to go about pre-populating fields on a Form from one table, allowing changes to be made and then saving these entries on a second table.

Eg I need 'FormA' to load on a click event, pre-populated from 'Table1', Users can then make any changes to this pre-populated form (without changing the source data in 'Table1') and then click the Email button. On clicking the Email button I want the data in the Fields to be save into 'Table2'.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 24
    Have a 'working' table, default table, and final table.
    User clicks edit, it runs append query to the 'working table'
    all defaults are appended from the 'default table' to an empty 'working' table that the form is connected to.

The user then edits the 'working table' when done, click ths SAVE button.
    The save button runs another qry to append the changes to the 'final' table.

Provided Answers: 19
    It sounds as if Table1 and Table2 are identical in structure...is this true?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Apologies for the delay.

Yip both are identical - I have managed to get a working model from ranman's advice.

Many thanks on this

Provided Answers: 59
    why would you you DUPLICATE a table, let alone TRIPLICATE it... unless there are very very good business reasons to do so its a recipie for disaster.
    instead consider having a state column which tells you what state that row is in (ie working, default or final)
    why.. well its juts pants to store the same data more than once. but there is a good reason not to. ...what happens if some bright spark decides to have a 4th 'table', called say 'production'.. in your model that means creating a new table, modifying queries, modifying forms and so on... the state flag way means that another state can be handled seemlessly without further development time or resource.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post

...why would you DUPLICATE a table, let alone TRIPLICATE it...its a recipie for disaster...
    Which is exactly why I asked the question! You're violating the rules, not to say the advantage, of a relational database!

I cannot imagine a valid business reason for doing this! Heed healdem's excellent advice!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007