Unanswered: Database not opening

I have my database placed on drive and people are not able to open the database. Its giving error

could not use 'G:\FileFrontend.accdb'; file already in use

I checked with IT and it shows everybody have modify access.

Please help immediately as I have 200 people waiting for me to make database working

Provided Answers: 24
    Users cant open the same db on the network. So you must split the db into
    backend tables, and frontend program. (see help on split database)
    the BE (backend) only has tables in it and sits on the network.

The FE is the forms/queries/code and sits on the users PC. Each user gets a FE but can share the BE.

The database is already split

Provided Answers: 24
    Are you sure they are opening the FE and not the one on the network? Everyone can access the BE via the FE.
    And you gave each person their OWN copy of the FE? 2 people cannot open the FE either. It must be in their own folder.

Provided Answers: 59
    also check that no one has got the 'open exclusive' property set, especially you
    make certain your application (the front end) doesn't modify any reports or forms.
    make certain that if you are doing development work you develop on your own copy of the application AND the data

as Ranman says you are far, far better gettign each user to work from their own copy of the front end, deployed on their local machine. there are tools int eh code bank that will allow you to manage what version users have ontheir front end
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post

...Are you sure they are opening the FE and not the one on the network...
    Quote Originally Posted by jj2 View Post

...I have my database placed on drive and people are not able to open the database. Its giving error 'could not use 'G:\FileFrontend.accdb'; file already in use...
    I think from this line that it's obvious the users are trying to open the Front End on a shared drive. A has been said, each user has to have a copy of the Front End on their individual PCs.

Having multiple users sharing a single Front End, on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior, as you've already found out!

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past eight years have seen literally dozens and dozens of reports of split databases, using links to a single Front End, causing these kinds of problems, as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that this kind of setup can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes you guys are right It Front End on the Server.

What could be the solution now ?Please help

Provided Answers: 59
    separate copy of the front end for each user, ideally deployed on their local machine

..as suggested in posts 4,5 & 6
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton