Unanswered: Require a Link to download unix VM

Hi,

I want to practice running the shell scripts at home for which I would require unix environment, can any one please suggest a link from where I could download the environment or is there any online link where I can login and write and run the unix shell scripts.

I found a link "Oracle Solaris VM Templates" is that a useful one, can I download it.
    I am running windows 7 in my laptop.....

Provided Answers: 1
    You can try one of these. The LiveCD List They all boot from CD and do not write on your hard drive.
    Alternatively you can install this Download Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications in Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Provided Answers: 54
    If you have enough RAM on your Windows 7 PC then you can use Virtual Box. There isn't an absolute requirment for "enough" although a good start seems to be the RAM needed by all of the Virtual Machines that you'll run at one time plus an additional 4 GB for Windows and Virtual Box. Keep in mind that your definition of "enough" may be higher or lower than this, depending on your expectations.

Oracle has a number of pre-configured VM files... You'll need to figure out which one of them is the closest fit to what you want and proceed from there.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Cool

Or perhaps Cygwin could be an option.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks a lot all for your valuable suggestion.....

Error in RHEL7 installation

Hi,

As per the suggestions made earlier, I downloaded virtualbox 4.3.12 and since I got a RHEL7 ISO image from my friends I got it saved in one of the drives in my PC then tried to boot from it it goes well and at one point of time during installation I got following error:

"
    The following error occurred while installing. This is a fatal error and installation will be aborted.

error populating transaction after 10 retries : failure: Pacakges/tar-1 26-29.e17 x86_64.rpm from anaconda [Error 256] No more mirrors to try. "

Does anyone have an idea on this please.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by prakaschn View Post
    Hi,

. . . failure: Pacakges/tar-1 26-29.e17 x86_64.rpm from anaconda [Error 256] No more mirrors to try. "

Does anyone have an idea on this please.....
    It is trying to download the anaconda pacakage "tar-1 26-29.e17 x86_64.rpm" and could not find any of the site(s).

Perhaps you could get better help from the VirtualBox community?

Good luck!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb