Unhappy Unanswered: Unable to connect to Database. Please verify the username, password, grant permission

Hello all. I seem to be in a conundrum. I just changed servers and on the old server I was having no problems with my Support software that I use for my business. I changed to the new server and I was able to set all the required settings to install the script properly and everything seemed to be normal. I of course had created the MySQL for the script and once it was installed and went to the /support section of my site it gave and gives me the following error..: "User Error
    Unable to connect to Database. Please verify the username, password, grant permissions and the database status. (./__swift/library/class.SWIFT.php:240)"

Now the MySQL server was needed for the installation so it installed properly with the MySQL but when I try to access the support script it gives me the above message. I tried to message the software company but they are so slow and gave me a response that wasn't very helpful. Can someone please try to help me out and troubleshoot this with me? Thank you for your time.

Provided Answers: 59
    The error message isnt very specific
    it could be the server isnt running or isnt visible through a firewall

it could be you havent GRANTed permissions for the required users, for the required access, or if you have it could be that you havent restarted the server to FLUSH the user permission changes
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Frustrated :(

How can I have this problem fixed? Do you think that you would be able to look at the problem for me? I am just stuck and don't know what to do

Provided Answers: 59
    because the error message isn't clear you need to go through the whole process
    ...the message wraps up several possible faults
    ...1) the db sever isn't visible (ie not installed, not running, blocked through a firewall)
    ...2) the database isn't present (the server is running but cannot find the database being referred to
    ...3) the supplied user has either an invalid password or doesn't exist or doesn't have adequate permissions for what you are trying to do.

if this is a piece of commercial software then you should contact the application support. and or you should go back through the installation process for the software

so first off
    ensure the MySQL server is installed and running.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...20is%20running
    ...that depends entirely on your server, what operating system it is and so on
    on a windows server look in the services tab of the task manager
    otherwise refer to the documentation for the server operating system (each flavour of linux seems to have different tools and ways of seeing what services are running)

if the mysql is present but not running then that suggests your installation either failed or the server isn't starting automatically on boot

run a php function which tells you the state of the PHP installation
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...TF-8#q=phpinfo
    what you are looking for is a section headed MySQL.
    place
    Code:
    <?php
     echo 'PHP is working.<br>';
     echo phpinfo();
    ?>
    in a file with a PHP extension (eg PHPTest.php) in your sites root folder, then run the file from a browser

so having proved the server is running, next try to prove the server is active from a remote client machine
    generally I use a tool called mysql workbench, availabel fromt he mysql website to check on local db servers. if its a remote server on an ISP they will probably insist you use their tools.

prove the database exists
    I use workbench to connect to the server, then the server will display what databases it has defined
    check the tables for you database exist
    check there is data in your tables

check the user permissions
    check that the user exists, check the computer(s) they are connecting from are permitted and check the permissions are appropriate. again this is all something that should be handled by the origianl software installaion script.

what you could do is edit, or edit a copy of, the PHP file to get a more meaningful error message
    I'm guessing the :240 is either a line number or swift error code
    it coudl be that you need to set up your new server name within the existing application code

can I help... well Im trying as best I can, but without diorect knowledge of what you are doing, direct access to your system there is a finite limit to what anybody can do by remote

off hand Im expecting the problem to be either a user authentication issue
    or an application (your php site) configuration issue
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton