Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: Brilliant Database & Chip Control

Hi all.
    Here's a little video showing something I use a lot for my clients. It's a little circuit board that can be programmed to send many different kinds of signals, all of which my program then converts into and event compatible with brilliant databases odd buffer timing requirement in order to run scripts.

You can connect buttons, sliders, pots, light sensors, pressure sensors, LEDs and other devices to the board and use them anyway you like with my app to get brilliant database doing all manner of things.

Brilliant Database - Chip Control - YouTube

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 2
    James,
    That is really great. I really liked the opportunity to hear your voice. When my wife and I take our European trip next year I will be listening for that voice and looking for that right hand that also appears in that video... because that is the hand I will be shaking and placing a Guinness(s) into!!!

I have been experimenting with using external inputs into my computer also. More specifically, I am using a differential pressure sensor to control a model on-screen through Unity3d's game engine. Last week I was FINALLY able to establish communication between the pressure sensor and Unity - I was elated at that moment. I have much, much more work to do.
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl.
    I totally look forward to it. My local has the best Guinness too...lol..

James

Provided Answers: 1
    Dear james:

Thanks a lot for sharing...

in a previous post you told us that you made it possible using communication over midi port...

some questions:

1. how you connect midi to your computer... with a usb to midi cable or how?

2. how do you pass information to brilliant.??? tell us the trick

- you write to a file?
    - you where able to read serial port?

3. what is the name of the development card you are using?

4. i saw some related videos on youtube about your software and i understood that you run brilliant in mac... how do you do it?

best regards from your mexican friend (and brilliant fan)

fer

(ok... i think that i know what is gonna be my christmas gif this year... nice windows tablet )
    Last edited by ferslash; 09-03-14 at 13:34.

in a previous post you told us that you made it possible using communication over midi port...
    Yes, that's what I'm showing in the video.

1. how you connect midi to your computer... with a usb to midi cable or how?
    I'm only using a standard USB cable.

2. how do you pass information to brilliant.??? tell us the trick
    As I mentioned in the other post brilliant database has an odd buffer timing that require signals to be received in a very specific way, and have a certain amount of a delay between key down and key release messages. The order of the messages also matters. So I've created my own little program that takes care of all that.

Basically my program listens to the Midi ports and converts them into something brilliant database can use.

3. what is the name of the development card you are using?
    Brain Jr.
    Livid Instruments

4. i saw some related videos on youtube about your software and i understood that you run brilliant in mac... how do you do it?
    Nope, not me. In some factories people remote desktop from a Mac into a PC, but this is very rare. I was looking at rewriting my music app for the Mac, but not with brilliant database. I was thinking about using File Maker which is PC and Mac compatible.

ok... i think that i know what is gonna be my christmas gif this year... nice windows table
    lol... Sweet. You know, that little tablet is amazing for working with brilliant database. I've often turned up at a factory for a days work with nothing but the tablet and it's detachable keyboard.

Regards
    James.

James

In order to receive the information does brilliant windows has to be focus?

Best regard
    Ver from mex

Yes, but if we could figure out how the Send Win Message function in brilliant database worked, I could modify my program to work using that method so brilliant database wouldn't need to be focused, and my app wouldn't accidentally send commands to other apps that were focused.

Regards
    James.
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 09-04-14 at 07:33.

the administrator guy here path, told me once that we need a "trunk" to connect dlls to brilliant.

talking about the dlls, in the brilliant manual (wich could be not aqurated) sais that if you create a dlls with an specific order you can ask information to that dll and put it inside brilliant... i was trying to create a test dll to do it, but i could not do it... we need some one who can use c#.

i guess that if we could do that test "trunk" then some how using dlls we could do the trick.

does any one know c#?

fer

james:

How did you make that brilliant changed the page?

i dont need to do it now, but i was thinking about it and cant figure out how you did it

best regards

fer

Provided Answers: 54
    Methinks thou meant/need a Thunk instead of a "trunk" for this trick!

I do C++, C#, and most other .NET languages. Unfortunately (for you anyway), I don't own a copy of BD (Brilliant Database)... If I owned a copy of BD, I'd probably be tempted to write a small flock of extensions to Brilliant and that would consume the other 43 waking minutes that I have every week! My wife would either kill or divorce me, and then I'd be no more.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat:

1. sorry, i think that everytime that i write your name i miss spell it

2. dont do it ... dont get killed or divorced.

3. but... just in case... and to be curious...

A) if you are curious about brilliant you can download free full trial http://www.brilliantdatabase.com/dow...imate_beta.exe

b) in the help file, it says that you can call external .dlls only if they are presented in the correct way... literal it says:

To create additional modules for Brilliant Database, you can use any development tool, for example, Visual C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, etc. The created module should be a usual dll. All exported functions should be declared in the following way:

void __stdcall ProcedureName(char *ParameterA, char *ParameterB, char *ReturnValue)

Where:

ParameterA, ParameterB - text variables passed from Brilliant Database in the standard Non-unicode character encoding.
    ReturnValue - text buffer in which the value returned by the function should be written. The limitation for the buffer size is 1 000 000 Bytes.
    For example, the following simple function will display ParameterA and ParameterB in a simple message and return a string with a random number:

void __stdcall TestMessage(char *ParA, char *ParB, char *RetValue)
    {
    MessageBox(NULL,ParB,ParA,1);
    wsprintf(RetValue,"Hello from Dll. Random value: %i",rand());
    }

Dear pat:
    if you find any time, could yo "bake" this (above) example for us, maybe just put the example code in a dll so we can see if this function of brilliant works... (i tryed in the past but i was overwelmed) i even fail to know in wich language the example was written in...

- in order to do so, you dont need brilliant, if you could help us with the dll i would more than happy to try it in brilliant.

- if we could only now that the fuction works, then we could invest some time to dig on it... (some fuctions have never been tryed for the communite... like this one)

---- but please dont get killed in the try... if you got divorce... call us to celebrate (bad joke)

your mexican friend

fer

Provided Answers: 54
    The sample code is written in either C or C++. There isn't anything that requires C++, so it would compile correctly in either. Due to the .NET libraries, I don't think that you could compile this in C# even if you cleaned up the syntax problems.

I might get frisky and create the DLL stub for you to test in a few weeks. My wife is going in for surgery, so I expect that I'll have some "down time" to experiment.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

thanx

i hope your wife get well soon.

fer

Pat:

yesterday i was up to 3:00 am toying with different ides trying to compile a dll no result at all it is a complicated stuff i seams that you need some good back ground to do it.

best regards

fer

Would be awesome to get that working.

It's a wonder why Mikhail is not even doing this kind of thing as an Add-on for Brilliant Database in order to generate some extra income.

Regards
    James