Unanswered: multimedia solution in db2

Hello,
    im writing this post because im looking for help regarding topic. Im not really into db2 yet, been using it just a bit, but what i am trying to do is to find out how db2 manages multimedia files (images, video and audio). Is there only blob for them and thats it? No special solutions (like automatic storing of metadata of file etc)?
    All i found in internet was about Extenders. But i cant really find much info about them in manualas. Also most of informations were pretty old and could be outdated, especially considering that i found some information about extenders being deprecated.
    Any help or links to some nice materials regarding that topic would be very appreciated and helpfull.

Provided Answers: 11
    most of the extenders (db2 v8..) are not available anymore
    you can store them into blob - but only for text, there is a special support to query these fields (netsearch, text-search..) as used in many document servers
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Hm so you mean i can store video, images and audio simply in blobs, and there is no special additions to it? Only for text format something additional (text-search etc) is available?

Provided Answers: 59
    why would you want to store video, images and audio INSIDE a db, wouldn't it make more sense to store metadata about those items inside the db so you can search
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 11
    i can store video, images and audio simply in blobs, = yes
    for text in clob : there is additional software available to extend the sql syntax, for filtering on text-data
    according the doc
    Audio, Image, and Video (AIV) Extenders Version 9.1 Audio, Image, and Video (AIV) Extenders are no longer supported
    Last edited by przytula_guy; 09-02-14 at 09:23.
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    why would you want to store video, images and audio INSIDE a db, wouldn't it make more sense to store metadata about those items inside the db so you can search
    To have them in database? Oracle and MS SQL has solutions for this which seem to extend capabilities of database by a lot. In DB2 by answers so far i guess there is simply blob and nothing else, oh well at least i will look no further while trying to find some additional info.

So thanks for answers, especially to przytula_guy