Unanswered: Where to start for competition judgement Access database

Hi,

We are using excel spreadsheet for student competitions in our school. We need to use Access 2010 or 2013 for this purpose from now on.
    We have 3 judges and they scoring every each students in Reading, Writing, English etc. I have attached a link for our existing spreadheet to give you an idea.

I still couldn't decide on table setup. 3 judges, 2 tally operators. Tally operators needs to see all data from every each judges for every each students. Judges can see all students but only their own scores!

How should I setup the tables?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by icbl; 09-06-14 at 04:20. Reason: attaching file

Provided Answers: 59
    design the system using normal form....
    work through the process

at first glance I'd expect at table for..
    ...persons (judges, tally operators and students). use some for of code to identify if they are students, judges or tally operators
    ...subjects
    ...students
    ...studentssubjects (student+Subject)
    ...studentsMarks (student+Subject+judge) + mark

when soemone signs on to your system if theyt are a judge you limit what they see aas required, students cant sign on
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi Healdem,

Thanks for your answer but could you please eloborate little more as my access database knowledge somewhere close to intermediate.

Thanks

I'm not downloading zip files from dropbox from someone I don't know
    if its an image post the image here directly

what you have above is an outline of how I'd approach the problem, which isn't necessarily the rigth or wrong way. what you need to do is go through the design process.
    right now you problem is how do you store your data. the how you restrict the access to whatever can come later, as long as you are aware its out there and take design steps accordingly.

so what do you think you need to store
    how are those attributes spread throughout your table design using the principals of normalisation
    these are all worth a good read
    http://www.informationqualitysolutio...tionPoster.pdf
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com

Hi Healdem,

Thanks for that. I am a System Administrator in a school, I understand that you don't wanna download the zip file which contains excel speradsheets. Doing that you also giving me links to pdf files which possibly may contain same harmful content as zip files. I think some level of trust necessary in any field. However without seeing them I don't think if you could give me an helpfull answer. So far what I received is very general principals which I am aware of already.
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by icbl View Post
    However without seeing them I don't think if you could give me an helpfull answer.
    So why don't you post them here as an attachment?
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

I did already in my first post.

Provided Answers: 14
    I did already in my first post.
    Nope! You posted a link to www.dropbox.com which is not the same, hence healdem's reaction.

To add an attachment to a post, click on the "Go Advanced" button under the Message box and select "Manage Attachments" in the "Additional Options" section of the page. You can then add files in different formats (bmp, doc, jpg, pdf, txt, zip, ...) to your message.
    Have a nice day!

Dear Sinndho,

My apology I did not realize that. Please find the attached file, I hope it's not too late.

However without seeing them I don't think if you could give me an helpfull answer.
    as expected the spreadsheets didn't make that much of a difference . your descritpion was good enough, and in my books the suggested outline was good enough. at elastr a good enough starting point following the general outlines of database design. ie it builds on the supplied references

So far what I received is very general principals which I am aware of already.
    shame you seem unable or unwilling to take it further from there

attached is a quick and dirty data model I sketched out yesterday. it contains the critical columns ONLY it will no doubt need fleshing out with other stuff as required. essentially it s the same as post #2 but in pretty piccy form

if you don't expect EVER to add more subjects then you probably don't need studentsubjects. personally I'd keep it in the model as it provides flexibility and probably may make the final query easier to manipulate, but its not required

the boolean isjudge determines if that person is a judge and that in turns identifies if they can add scores or view all socres. that is done through software
    Last edited by healdem; 09-06-14 at 09:59.

Hi Healdem,

...Doing that you also giving me links to pdf files which possibly may contain same harmful content as zip files. I think some level of trust necessary in any field.
    a link to a PDF files, and two links to web pages, all 3 are well worth a read