Unanswered: How to identify encrypted columns in DB2 catalogs

Hi all,

I am new in this forum and it seems I will find many interesting things here. I am starting learning DB2 LUW and I suppose that people like you with more experience will be very helpful, thanks in advance.

My first question is:

I need to know if it is possible to identify encrypted columns in DB2 catalogs, I don't find such a property in SYSCAT.COLUMNS. Does anybody know if there is a way to get this ?. (DB2 9.X).

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 11
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thanks a lot for your answer ;-).

That entry describes very well how you can encrypt a column, but nothing about how it is stored in tha catalogs. Any other idea ?

Cheers.

Provided Answers: 11
    maybe...
    In the SQL Reference Part 1 you can find details on how to use ENCRYPT, DECRYPT_CHAR, DECRYPT_BINARY and GETHINT functions
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 5
    Columns are not setup to be encrypted. Only the data that is placed in them is encrypted. You can have a column that for some rows, the data is encrypted, and some are not. So there is no way to look at the catalog to determine if a column is encrypted.

It is up to the application to know that data is encrypted, that way, it knows how to decrypt the data.

Andy

Thanks a lot for this info, this is what I supposed but had not confirmation till now.

Cheers.