Unanswered: Web based front end for MYSQL

Hello,
    My requirement is to
    1. Setup an Intranet site for my Maintenance department to log daily activity similar to a CMMS system.
    2. I would like to use open source softwares for this.
    3. I have installed MYSQL, Apache TOMCAT server, Pentaho report etc.
    4. The missing link is a software to make the front end which should be Web based and my colleagues should log-in using their username/ pwd from intranet PCs.

I am still not able to find a nice opensource front end (forms) design software for data entry and visualisation.

Please suggest.

regards,
    ram

Provided Answers: 10
    Php ?
    George
    Home | Blog

This is too cryptic....

Provided Answers: 59
    try using PHP
    or failing that anyone of the many other contenders such as
    Ruby/ Ruby on Rails
    PERL
    and so on.

some of these use frameworks to do a lot fo the grunt work for you. although picking the 'best' framework can be another fraught development decision
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1

MYSQL front end

thanks guys for the reply.
    I would like to use PHP. Had a look at few tutorials in youtube. But I would like to know if there are open source software that allow us to design a complete intranet site with attractive forms for data entry as well as displaying data , graphs etc based on queries?

Ram

Im not certain there is a paid for front end tool anywhere that will do that for you. However PHP can be programmed to do that sort of thing. There are lots of add on classes to provide functionality but you would have to develop the application.

MYSQL front end

What I want is equivalent in features to MS Access, but open source and preferably running on TOMCAT / APACHE

equivalent:- none that Im aware of.
    but you can, with a lot of effort and development time get there with PHP (and I guess with Ruby and others)

Access is a pretty complex piece of software that dates back to the late 80's, there is nothing comparable in the open source community, there is even less in the web client world

Provided Answers: 54
    You can actually get behavior a lot like Microsoft Access from the web site (SharePoint) feature of Office 365, but that's not free, open source, or completely application driven... It does require some coding.

I'd love to see something like what kvram25 is trying to find, but I suspect that it is still in the same category as "the Emperor's new clothes" and will be for quite some time.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.