Unanswered: Append Query Help

Hi,

I have a good return database, in this an append query appends data from a (temp) table to a (perm) table on a click event which works ok.

If this record has multiple items being returned it adds multiple lines (against the Returns number) in the Perm table which again is ok.

The issue is I have a goods request form which populates the temp table however if there is multiple lines for one return it only populates the one record in the perm table when appended. how do I get it to populate all entries for same returns number?

Many thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    dunno
    and in the absence of you table design its hard to say...
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 24
    If the target table is keyed, it will never save the multiple returns.

Is there no way to get the input on a form to populate multiple table rows where they have the same Returns number?

Provided Answers: 59
    yes there is
    you can do virtually whatever you want in Access, using code behind events. but there is no way of doing this that I can think of that works with just standard forms. you will need to do this using code.

behind the Access IDE/glitzy forms/reprots there is a fairly comprehensive development environment that allows you to do virtually anything. that development environment isn't quite as generic and widespread as a fully blown development environment such as in .NET or Java, C++ and so on, but you can do virtually anythign

you coudl use and INSERT INTO query

I suspect in part the main problem is that unless you have a good reason for it having two tables, even if one is a temporary table. that has the whiff of a flaky design.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I needed two tables as I required a form to be pre-populated with existing data and the same form to provide further data capture against the existing data. So I used a three table scenario Source, Working (temp) and Final. Probably not the best design but I have very limited Db Skills.

I managed to get the append to work by splitting my temp table (and related Queries) into two. one for Return Details and one for Return Items and liked the two though Returns Number. Then on the append query brought the return details in against the every return item.

Thanks for your advice on this.