Smile Unanswered: Is linux needed for oracle

Hi
    My Name is Ramesh and i am in Windows system support. I have good knowledge in Windows Desktop Troubleshooting and moderate knowledge in Windows server and domain Administration. I am interested in database admin career and i thought that i can go for oracle , since most of the company use oracle, But the problem i only have basic knowledge in Linux and most of the Oracle DB runs in Linux / Unix environment . So can some one guide me on this whether i can go for oracle or Ms Sql. Is linux is needed for Oracle administration, Can some one be a oracle Data base admin with little amount of knowledge in Linux / Unix .

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > Can some one be a oracle Data base admin with little amount of knowledge in Linux / Unix .

yes, but would you ever get hired?
    Shops running Oracle RDBMS on Windows Servers in Production are the exception.
    IMO, it is easier to learn *NIX, than it is to learn Oracle.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 11
    Oracle will install and run on Windows. You will find a few differences between the *NIX and Windows processes, but the overall theory is going to be the same. Download Oracle Express. This is the stripped down free version of Oracle.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar_dec View Post
    Hi
    My Name is . . .
    . . . So can some one guide me on this whether i can go for oracle or Ms Sql. Is linux is needed for Oracle administration, Can some one be a oracle Data base admin with little amount of knowledge in Linux / Unix .
    A great percentage of Oracle databases are on some flavor of *nix.

But if you already have Windoze knowledge perhaps while you learn Oracle, you should also focus on M$ SQL. Many large and medium corporations are migrating their medium and small *nix databases to M$ SQL due to Oracle's excessive licensing cost.

PS: It will also pay off if you learn Linux.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb