Provided Answers: 3

Answered: SQL 2008 Express owner/installer domain username change

Hello,

In my company, I have a SQL 2008 Express database that is the back-end to a MS Access front end application. I am a Domain Admin here, and have limited SQL knowlege. I've taken some SQL classes, but don't use it every day, so I don't know it well. A couple years ago, I had to bring this SQL database into my environment from another domain. I was able to restore it and we've been using it for a couple years now. The problem is, my username was just changed to reflect our account naming standard for domain admins. It used to be simply "mydomain\username", now it's changed to "mydomain\d-username" to easily identify a domain admin account with the leading "d-".

With that said, I no longer have any permissions to administer my SQL database. I only noticed when I went to add a new user, and noticed, all the other user accounts are missing! But, after polling the users, they've not been impacted..... yet.

When in SQL Server Management Studio, and browsing the Users for the database, I can see my old account name. For some reason, it is not updating the name change.
    I have restarted the server but, this had no effect.

I'm using standard Windows Authentication.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Pat

2. Best Answer
    Posted by padraig

"Thank you for helping. Unfortunately, this ended up helping me greatly.

Argenis Fernandez : Think Your Windows Administrators Don

Pat"

Provided Answers: 11
    You may need to rename your account back temporarily, but I am not sure. Since you renamed the account, the SID remains the same, but since the name does not match, you may be getting only guest permissions (which would be why you can not see any of the other logins). Did you set up the sysadmin account as a group, or as just your ID? If it is a group, this should not occur at all.

What I would do (although I am not a domain admin, and don't know the implications), would be to rename your account to the old name, log in to the server, and add the domain admins group (or maybe a new SQL Admin group, your choice) to the sysadmin group, and remove your personal account. Then you can safely disconnect, rename your account to the new standard, and you should be all set.

Feeling sad

Thank you for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but sadly, it did nothing. When I try to add my account back to the logins, I get an error message that the account already exists. But I can't see it because I don't have permission. Could the SID have changed?

Would it be any good to simply restore the database using my new, renamed account?

Thanks!
    Pat

Provided Answers: 11
    Don't add your account. Add the domain admins group. Since your account was only renamed, and not recreated, your SID is still the same, and you can't have two logins with the same SID.

Fixed!

Thank you for helping. Unfortunately, this ended up helping me greatly.

Argenis Fernandez : Think Your Windows Administrators Don

Pat