Unanswered: Run query which looks at text box for filtering

H all,

I have a form call Main. In main is an unbound text box called cbo_ContractSelection in the form header.

In the embedded query which drives the form "Main" i have the following code in the criteria field....

Like [forms]![Main]![cbo_ContractSelection].[Text] & "*" Or Is Null

The idea is that as i type in the text field cbo_ContractSelection it filters the record in the form. On the Keyup event i just requery form Main but none of the records seem to get filtered.

What i did notice is this code does work if the text box cbo_ContractSelection is driving a subform rather than the form it resides in.

hope thats clear?
    thanks for any help
    Marcus

Provided Answers: 24
    Usu. combo boxes are called cbo_
    but dont use the .TEXT.
    Just use
    [forms]![Main]![cbo_ContractSelection]
    and you use the AFTERUPDATE event to filter.

The afterupdate should just me.requery to read the new filter.

Provided Answers: 59
    another way of doing the same thing is to sset a filter when the users selects an item in the list/combo box. you probably also want to have a command button that removes the filter

a reason for using thsi approach is that it doesnt' directly affect a query. I ifnd it easier to understand what is going on if I can see the effect of UI objects withint code than queries which are elsewhere. it also means that queries are decoupled form forms or reports, meaning those queries can be used in more than one palce
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks for your help, went with a command button to remove the filter too which works great.
    thanks again
    marcus