Unanswered: stLinkCriteria Issue... Help. Please.

Ok. I have built a Listbox and when you double click one of the records in this listbox it is suppose to open the data in another form.

So i got the query below to open the other form but its just not populating the data... it errors and I cant figure out why. When I hover over the query in VB after it errored to debug it shows the ID of the record I double clicked but its not pulling the data....

WHAT am I doing wrong! Help!

Query:
    Private Sub SearchResults_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = Forms![Compliance Form].[Update Compliance Certifications].SetFocus

stLinkCriteria = "[IDUpdate]=" & Me![SearchResults]

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

End Sub

The text above is where the debug tells me there is an issue. The error I got when trying to do this is "The action or method requireds a Form Name argument."

Ideas? Fixes?

Provided Answers: 59
    the error message is telling you that you have not provided a valid name of the form to be opened
    so stDocName should contain the name of the form to be opened
    Code:
    stDocName = Forms![Compliance Form].[Update Compliance Certifications].SetFocus
    im guessing it should read
    Code:
    stDocName = "Compliance Form"
    ie the name of the form to be opened
    Last edited by healdem; 09-26-14 at 14:02.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Reply1

This is a tabbed form, hence my issues. I cant figure out how to have it populate into the tabbed form.

Main Compliance Form
    Tab1 New Compliance Certifications
    Tab2 Search Compliance Certifcations
    Tab3 Update Compliance Certifications

Using Tab2 you can search the db items with specified criteria however I want to all the user to double click the item and pop it up in tab3 to update or read all the information on those items its not working... grrr.

so are you trying to switch to a tab on the current form as opposed to opening a form?

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...ic+tab&spell=1

Reply2

I spent almost a day and half trying to understand it. I thought if I posted the code someone could help me understand and see my mistake and what I was missing.

Thanks, I will continue to read and figure it. Or just build a different form and not tab it. Thanks.

What I think you are trying to do is switch the focus to a specific tab that is effectively already open in the current for. but its hard to tell from what you are saying. its hard to diagnose from your code as it doesn't make sense (or at least not to me). by trying to set a formname by using the setfocus property is frankly gibberish. its impossible to work out what you actually want to do from that

so 'all' you need to do is display that tab. that means set the appropriate property on your tab control

Reply4

I dont understand enough about how to use the tabs in the form and get what I want. Seperate forms easy but this "tab control" part I am having trouble understanding it.

I all the other pieces of it put together this is the last part, I will get.

Thank you.

sorry, with this sort of problem its tricky to describe a solution without actually seeing the problem. if you are still stuck I'd recommend that you post a ZIPped copy of your db here as an attachment, remove any sensitive data first. say which form is exhibiting the symptoms and people will try and help