Unanswered: Folder relation - sub-folder

Hello all. Still just getting started working with Brilliant DB as a development platform. I'm pretty sure I saw an example or video showing moving a folder under another to make it a "sub-folder". Since relational actions are not limited to sub-folders, what is the effect or purpose of moving a folder under another? Also, any idea where it describes or shows that on any support video, db, etc.? Thank you.

Provided Answers: 1
    not shure about your question, but as long as i know, folder and subfolders are something just to "organize" your data, out of this reason there is no side effect. (as far as i know)

fer

Sub-folders and OTHER BDB particulars

Thank you for your reply. My question was based on wondering if moving (indenting) a folder under another, making it a "sub-folder", intentionally limits specific access, relations, etc. If I understand your reply, you are saying that every folder can be accessed and have relations, and that choosing to move a folder under another is only for visual or conceptual reference implying a grouping of and/or "relation" between the folders.

If that is the case, no problem. I would still appreciate any other info regarding this. Probably not a critical issue, but I'm trying to fully understand the Brilliant DB paradigm regarding design.

Some other items I am curious about if anyone cares to enlighten me:
    1. Is there a limit to the number of simultaneous users--it's always referred to as "several".
    2. Besides James Tubbritt, are there others who have used Brilliant DB to develop and have working in commercial multi-user settings for some time, despite the lack of direct support from Binary Brilliant?
    3. Is it possible/ easy to use a bar-code scanner with Brilliant DB?
    4. Is anyone developing in other software while also using Brilliant depending on the project complexity/ features needed?
    5. Is Version 10.54 BETA still considered BETA or solid.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by John F14 View Post
    1. Is there a limit to the number of simultaneous users--it's always referred to as "several".
    Thank you very much.
    Shared Server. Mikhail told me some ages ago that he recommend not more as 10 users. In theory unlimited, but every user slows down the server. As faster the server and network as more users are possible.

2. Besides James Tubbritt, are there others who have used Brilliant DB to develop and have working in commercial multi-user settings for some time, despite the lack of direct support from Binary Brilliant?
    Yes. Me. Currently I am telling my customers to wait until Version 10 is stable or I have redone my work on another compiler plattform. At the moment I am only solving feature requests/bug reports on the current software, who are based on BrilliantDatabase 9, but I am not making new applications.

As USB Keyboard yes, as COM Device No. Cursor must be in the field where you want to have the barcode entered. Not automatic selection.

4. Is anyone developing in other software while also using Brilliant depending on the project complexity/ features needed?
    I am testing MyVisualDatabase and C#/C++. But not at the moment. To much other consulting business.

5. Is Version 10.54 BETA still considered BETA or solid.
    As far as I have read, some problems are unsolved.

Provided Answers: 17
    COM is also possible using third party solutions like WinWedge which will allow you to send a signal to brilliant database from about any interface you can imagine.

It is also possible to avoid the need to have the cursor already selecting the field the bar code is to be sent to if you can figure out how WinMessasge works in brilliant database. This function and external DLLs are two functions nobody has been able to figure out yet on the forum as the manual is very poor on these subjects, and there's no help from brilliant database themselves on this.

There's massive potential with this software. I just wish the developers were more active.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 17
    My question was based on wondering if moving (indenting) a folder under another, making it a "sub-folder", intentionally limits specific access, relations, etc. If I understand your reply, you are saying that every folder can be accessed and have relations, and that choosing to move a folder under another is only for visual or conceptual reference implying a grouping of and/or "relation" between the folders.
    It all depends on how you code the permissions.

A folder can be automatically protected simply by placing it as a sub folder of a folder. You just have to code it in such a way that it's always checking it's location to the root folder.

In the SDK (Ultimate edition) you can even make the folder appear and completely disappear from sight entirely on demand.

Regards
    James