Thread: Need Help!

Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Need Help!

Good day People...

I'm quiet new to database stuff.
    Please i am creating a database for a group of students. Each record has a field on the form that automatically calculates the record's average marks. What I am struggling with now is creating a field on the form that will give a position to each of the records (more like a class position) based on the field that shows each record's average mark.
    Thanks and waiting for your soonest reply

Please Need Help from U Guys

Please i am creating a database for a group of students. Each record has a field on the form that automatically calculates the record's average marks. What I am struggling with now is creating a field on the form that will give a position to each of the records (more like a class position) based on the field that shows each record's average mark.

have you tryed to create a script...

the scrit should do something like this:

1. create a recordset variable of all the studendts you want to sort (record set generic type)
    2. create a second variable recorset with the type "sort another recordset" (where following the wizard directions select the recordset of the first step as the recordset to sort, and then select the field to sort )

if you have problems about it let me know...

is was it usefull?

fer from mexico

Thanks for responding

Quote Originally Posted by ferslash View Post
    have you tryed to create a script...

the scrit should do something like this:

1. create a recordset variable of all the studendts you want to sort (record set generic type)
    2. create a second variable recorset with the type "sort another recordset" (where following the wizard directions select the recordset of the first step as the recordset to sort, and then select the field to sort )

if you have problems about it let me know...

is was it usefull?

fer from mexico

I guess i followed what u asked. Actually I'm not soo used to the scrip stuff. But then I want to tell u what I did. I created a "single-text field" on the form and at the "script and behavior" column under properties I clicked on the "on Enter Key" and created the variables u asked me to create. Then exited the script window. Bt nothing happened. When i put the cursor in the field I created and press on enter.,, a window appears with the window title select "SSSTEMP" (SSSTEMP) is the name of the Form I created which has the fields on it. I'm quiet new so u can take things quiet slow for me. Gracias. I'm glad u responded !

* can you post a copy of your database? i may give it a try...

* what you did, may be correct, but insted of putting the scrip inside a text field, try putting it inside a button.

anyway post or send me a copy of you db (if you feel that you can detail exactly what you want in a simpler way it can be help full to)

best regards

fer

Can I have your email so I can send it to u there? Don't know how to post db files here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Java7 View Post
    Hi, if possible mail the database to me, I also created a student database.
    it@nimtnamibia.com

Regards
    Hennie

Quote Originally Posted by Java7 View Post
    Can I have your email so I can send it to u there? Don't know how to post db files here

Thanks
    Anytime if you need to upload files you may "ZIP" and upload.

Reply @Ferslash @Brilliant Namibia

Hello guys... Thanks for the willingness to help. I've sent you the database in your respective emails. Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance

Java7

@Asokram

Pls can I have ur email to so I can the database to u for help? Thanks

Provided Answers: 17
    Hello.
    I'm looking at your file here and because this is your design, I'm not sure where to start.

I know you want to give everyone a ranking, but what way were you hoping to do that with the current design of your database?

If you can explain what you want me to write, I can code this for you. Right now the only idea that's popping into my mind is a bad idea.

My bad idea is, I could for example write a script that adds up the total score for each student and sorts all the records in the current folder in according to the numerical value. From there I can script it to select the first record and then run a loop so that it moves onto the next record and populates the next field, and continues to do that until it has updated all records.

This will basically give you want you want, but it's not a real time system (like the formula field is). It will only rank everyone against each other when you run the script. Looking at your form, that means your going to have to run the same script a number of times for each record.

As I said, it sounds like a bad idea, so what had you got in mind? I can do whatever you need, I simply just don't know what way to approach this right now.

Regards
    James

Thanks James for your reply. Now this is what ive got in mind;
    apparently more folders will be created which will contain the records (will be created in the use of the database)..... now on the form each record has an average mark for each term (with the field name AV. Y1T1, AV. Y1T2 and it continues) .. what i want is a field that will give a rank based on the average marks of each record. let me bring it more down...... example there are 4 students (records) in a class (folder) the average marks (AV Y1T1) of the students are; 21,25,30,32 for student A,B,C,D respectively..... now i want a field on my form that will tell me that student D is 1st out of the 4 students .. coz his average marks exceed that of C (2nd), B (3rd) and A (4th) for that particular term.

its basically more like the way we are ranked in school after terminal or semester exams.

hope its better explained now. if i have to give more explanations dont hesitate to ask

Regards
    Evans