Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Reaching out to Binary Brilliant and Brilliant Database Users

I am new to Brilliant Database, but not database development. I would first like to thank those to whom I have posted or sent a message for your quick responses. Like many of you, I am confused (if not concerned) about the lack of response from the developer (Mikhail). With an investment of 10 years, a truly unique and 'brilliant' concept. and loyal users, it seems quite illogical that there is not at least a small amount of response/ support for internal software issues (bugs) and some indication of "life" and activity at Binary Brilliant. Just to get pre-purchase information has gone unanswered. Yet a post here said they received a response in May of this year, and an update was issued earlier this year.

Having looked for years for a product like this, I am still eager to work with it. There are enough indications (James Tubbritt alone) of successful implementation of compiled complete sophisticated applications to warrant moving forward. It is not like I haven't continued with software before even when it had been discontinued.

My focus here is to accomplish several things:
    1. Try to establish what the current status of the company is and its plans for continued sale and development.
    2. Try to get an explanation of why there is often no response at all for so many.
    3. Try to HELP, if possible to expand the support side for Brilliant beyond this forum to encourage continued use by users and further sales for Mikhail--a benefit to us all.

Towards these ends, I am:
    1. Going to take Mikhail up on the listed recommendation under to the (indication of existing) support section to use when you do not get a response--send more messages!! I plan to try to take a few minutes per day and send one website-based message, one email, and one fax. They will be polite and professional, and include the stated desire to help and get contact to further his sales and our support.; Perhaps volume will get some notice.

2. When I am more up to speed and able to provide more help than ask for it, I plan to be as fully engaged in the forum and other avenues as possible to help others succeed with and stay with Brilliant. As I have been unable to find anything close as a real alternative (I will be using Alpha Anywhere for larger and most mobile concerns, but down the road), I have no desire to work with a lesser product or seek an alternative like MyVIsual, which may become a great product, but is now at its infancy.

3. Would like to see if we can pool stats and any contact with Mikhail, including some size estimate of the user base, and seek out any interest in developing centralized user-based support (within or outside of DB Forums) such as corrections, explanations, and examples for the "manual" (basics/ help), organized (hopefully indexed) code examples and help by category and subject. And any other suggestion how to better serve ourselves without too much time investment (either contributing or trying to find answers).

One thing I have not found so far on any thread is any hint of WHY over time this lack of contact exists--any comments from Mikhail about the problem. The product is still reviewed and easily found, but I see no marketing, partner programs, even clear delineation and comparison of the various editions (e.g.; what's the difference between "home" and "professional"? One must assume Ultimate includes ALL features and capabilities of the other editions, does not require a user to use "workplace" and is multi-user--although NONE of these references are on the website, and although there are references to "discounts", it is not clear if you buy the server edition, for example, how much less the Ultimate version would be when you are ready to start compiling and distributing.

I again thank you all, and hope Mikhail will answer us here or in direct response from our contacts.

~ John Fisher

Provided Answers: 54
    It would be great to see BDB (Brilliant DataBase) take off as a product with good support and a strong business behind it. Good luck John!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 2
    John,
    Patience and perseverance will be needed for this seemingly simple endeavor! Sporadically, answers do sometimes occur. Earlier this year, I E-mailed the Brilliant Database site daily for at least 25 days when I was having an issue... I never received a single acknowledgement. What DID produce a result was that I used another of Mikhail's business ventures E-mail address (BinaryBrilliant) - I promptly received a reply; however, I tried that approach later and experienced nothing though it may be worth a shot for you.

The software is EXTREMELY CAPABLE of lots of incredible things (thanks to MacHeuS and James T for all of their help) yet in my case there was a large and sometimes frustrating learning curve associated with this product. Others have seemed to come along and quickly master the Brilliant Database techniques.
    Daryl G

Thank you for your replies, Pat and Daryl. Spot on Pat, that's the goal--in theory of course! It must be a good start if the "resident curmudgeon" is on board!

Daryl, since I like resolutions, I will try any and all avenues to reach him (them?). After some life changes, a move, and a restart of a new consulting business, I looked for years long ago to replace FoxPro and Q&A through which I created many applications for a wide variety of business fields (hospitals, manufacturing, marketing, professional, etc.). Alpha was still growing up, I wanted another business software development platform (NOT Filemaker or Access--yuk), and things were still changing, I bought Sesame, but like someone else here, found it was not the great solution I'd hoped for. I bought Alpha 5, but there is a long learning curve and I have not had the block of time to immerse myself--GREAT support and features though. Finally I found Brilliant after an intensive search. So far, except for the lack of contact, I have been really impressed and creating the beginnings of applications even within the first few hours. I have long way to go learning the nuances.

Don't be discouraged, sometimes it's hard to get the "paradigm" (for lack of a better word) of a platform, regardless of experience. That's why I want to see some further documentation, examples, and details from Mikhail and, more likely, the user base. Members here seem very responsive and willing to help. There are no bad questions. Explain each confusion and we will help (and likely learn as well in the process). Some concepts specific to Brilliant are not all clear yet to me, but I'm moving along!

~ John

Provided Answers: 1
    @John:

I am developing a full business solution based on brilliant, so dont feel alone...

lots of us have been searching for alternatives, but until now it seams that there are not... So, well come at forum.

Regarding reaching Mikhail... good luck. some time ago i posted a similar post but it seamed to be lefted behaind.

best regards

fer

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi John.
    Needless to say the future of Brilliant Database is very important to me since it's what I use for my clients. If it were to be discontinued, I'd be ruined and I'd loose clients.

The software is excellent, but as you know, nobody seems to answers emails quite often, and nobody has any idea of what the future holds.

I wish there was something we could do to help Brilliant Database move things along in a positive way.

Regards
    James.

Usually a way

Hello James.

Always a pleasure to read your comments on about anything! Since I am at the point of having to decide what to use as I return to regular development for clients and reduce other consulting activities in favor of that, I have had to evaluate this product with the potential that the most recent releases may be the last (one never knows with any software), and live with any bugs and lack of direct support, move on (and delay) by getting up to speed on Alpha (planned for later), or try to live with a much less capable product (not a viable option for me).

Having watched the forum, read some of the past entries, and considered the reported issues, I find no real reason not to move ahead. Every package has had unresolved issues, and as long as there can be workarounds, I believe strongly in "there are always possibilities" (~ Spock). Granted I say this with somewhat limited experience with Brilliant, but hardly my first experience with lack of functions, bugs,m and limits in software. With the collective intelligence of the users, solutions will be found. As long as the product works and can survive in a evolutions of an OS, it may not matter to a client using a compiled app how it was developed, just that it works. The example of the DELETE RECORD failure and your timing solutions addressed in this forum are perfect examples. Just use another approach. May not always work, but lots of clever people around.

You are much appreciated. Looking forward to encouraging more people to use (or return) to using the product.

~ John

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Hi John.
    Needless to say the future of Brilliant Database is very important to me since it's what I use for my clients. If it were to be discontinued, I'd be ruined and I'd loose clients.

The software is excellent, but as you know, nobody seems to answers emails quite often, and nobody has any idea of what the future holds.

I wish there was something we could do to help Brilliant Database move things along in a positive way.

Regards
    James.

Hi John.

As long as the product works and can survive in a evolutions of an OS, it may not matter to a client using a compiled app how it was developed, just that it works.
    That's a good point. I've databases that haven't been updated in 7 years still running in one factory. I think I compiled them in version 4.5 at the time and there's never been any issue over the years as they went from XP machines up to Win7.

All things considered, the current v10.54b is actually better than any previous stable release in my opinion too. It has it's odd quirks and bugs, but nothing major you can't simply code your way around.

I'm sure we will see a v11 at some point. I just wish there was something that could be done to help Mikhail take things to the next level and to see the user base grow in a big way. Ultimately Mikhail selling lots of copies and growing as a successful company.

Regards
    James.

UPDATE: Day 2, 3 emails and 1 fax sent. ~ John

They are lucky their software is so good because you wouldn't see a potential customer going to such lengths to get a response from any other company.

I hope things improve.

Regards
    James

Great news!! - mikhail has responded with some encouraging information!

Hello everyone.

GREAT NEWS!!! I just received an email response from Mikhail from support@brilliantdatabase.com. I am including some of my questions and his responses here. I have edited out just a bit as I have not responded yet to Mikhail and do not want to include certain items yet (such as another, private email address) without his permission.

Sounds like the answers we've been looking for!

From Mikhail's email:

Dear Mr Fisher,

Thank you for your letters.

We are really have many problems with receiving e-mail via our support system and workflow. Here I try to answer your questions.

Q. Is 10.54 now the \"current\" edition, or still considered a Beta in test mode? If not, is there another release in the works to fix some
    of the recently reported (DB Forums) bugs?

A. Yes, 10.54 is the last official beta. We plan to publish new beta on October 23.

Q. PLEASE could you just make a short appearance on DB Forums,

A. We will take more attention on our PR in November.

Q. Is Binary Brilliant still active?

A. Yes. And we don't plan to stop improving Brilliant Database.

Q. Is there a reason why there NEVER seems to be a response to contact,
    regardless of the method used to reach you?

A. It is our internal problems, they are solved now and we will be available at support@brilliantdatabase.com.

Q. Is there ANYTHING we can do to help?
    - Add User-Developed Addendums and resources to your \"manuals\" and study options?
    - Provide work-a-rounds for known bugs while they are being fixed?
    - Handle support requests when they do not involve an internal design/ code related issue or function?

A. Not this month, but we will think about this in December [I think he was either addressing the user-based support on the website or directly providing workarounds not sure]

A.2 Thank you very much for your support, but it was really our internal problem. The only thing you can do is to forgive us for our support.

I hope our support system will work fine now, so it will not be a problem.

Again, I apologize for all that support hell our customer got for last year. We are sorting out the consequences of it and hope it will never happen again.

Yours sincerely
    Mikhail A. Lishin
    Brilliant Database Software

thanks good!

guys... if we have some ideas to help brilliant development we should start now a stiky thrend or something, so, when brilliant begins to support again we can "shoot" our ideas.

- maybe a unified list of bogs
    - ideas for better support (pay for extra support)
    - unified wish list with a voting sistem
    - fund racing
    - collective user fund racing for new features
    - comunity work arrounds in a wiki property of brilliant..

i guess the list could go on...

what do you think??? should do the think tank now??

fer

*** by the way...

- no one has found a good option to left brilliant

- some of us have learned and spend time learning (i am not willing to trash my study hours)

- some of us have countless hours invested creating commercial solutions

*** i insist if we can help in some way as community we should do it in the next time frame that can be opened if brilliant supports again...

fer

Wow..!!!

This is excellent news John. Thanks for letting us know. I'm quite excited and I hope to see some great change over the next few months. I truly wish Brilliant Database great success. It's all in their hands now.

Kind regards
    James

guys... if we have some ideas to help brilliant development we should start now a stiky thrend or something, so, when brilliant begins to support again we can "shoot" our ideas
    My 2 cents.
    When it comes to “Support” I feel it is important that we continue to support each other as we do right now, and that we continue to encourage others to do the same as they learn how to use the software and as we grow as a community in numbers.

I would rather see Brilliant Database staff focus on PR, development, bug fixes and answering questions we are not able to resolve ourselves. For example, the Send Win Message functions needs to be explained as well as using VB & DLL's.

If we can get a good balance going, I think we can have a very healthy community and see some strong development take place as the vibe should be very positive and impress potential customers.

The software itself speaks for itself it's that good. It's PR, development and a great relationship that are most important between the community and developers. That should see the business grow.

Regards
    James.