Thread: Auto Numbers

Unanswered: Auto Numbers

Dear All

I will be very grateful if anyone can help me to create auto numbers as described below, keep in mind I'm new to using access.

I am attempting to set up the auto number based on the input date along with a sequence number.

The Auto Number should take the date from UNPUT DATE, Basically the format would be year, month, day and increment (starting at 001)

YYDDMM-Seq.No

141013-001
    141013-002
    141013-003

etc

Next day the Sequence Number should change according to date and reset the increment to start again at 001

141014-001
    141014-002

etc

I do realize that it needs some efforts to get the desired results for which I would like to Thank in advance for any help / suggestions.

Provided Answers: 59
    there's lots of answers to this sort of problem, already on this forum. If you do a search you should find what you need
    but in essence what you need is a function which returns the next available number
    you can find the current highest number using the domain funstion DMAX
    the only issue is if you are using a multi user db where there could be more than one user trying to insert a row at the same time. if that is so either secure a table lock whilst you get the next number OR put in error trapping that gets another number if the insert fails becuase of a duplicate index error
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 24
    You cant really autonumber this. You'd need a custom function to count the ones already there, then add 1 to it.