Question Unanswered: Split Database Problem: Front end users not able to edit / add records

Hello,

For my work I am attempting to make a database to track order status with vendors, for example when it is needed to ship and what the anticipated ship date is, along with the documentation check status that we need to have before it can be shipped. This is an attempt to eliminate the use of several different excel sheets between different departments. We are using access 2010, and should have 5 users Max. It started out as just a database I was using to track but then others requested to have access to it. As I was trying to make it into something we could all use, I did a little research and found that I should spilt the database and did so using the tool in Access with no problems. I moved the back end to our server and distributed a copy of the front end for each user to load on their desktop to use.

The problem I am running into is, that while everyone can see the records, it seems that the back end will only accept new / edited records from one user at a time, and will not give the users an error at all if it is not saving the data. In fact it seems that the data is being temporarily saved somewhere since that local front end will still see and can search for the data entered until it is restarted when the data is then lost. Other users can not see this lost data at all. The user that does have access to edit records everything seems to be working as intended. I was wondering if it is something with a record locking mechanism that I have read about and can say that it looks like the record locking file is appearing in the file with the back end data and I have gotten a locked record notice that told me someone else was editing the record (once or twice). Sometimes it seems whoever has refreshed the linked table in the linked table manager has the right to edit, but it does not always follow that logic. It seems that the front end on my own computer seems to have the right to edit more often than the others.

I am not sure if I need to change something in the front end or back end... Please let me know if you need anything further that might help.

Thank you for your time.

Provided Answers: 24
    Did you check the tables in the FE and see that ALL of them have LINKs to the BE?
    (and not local...sometimes that happens)

Hi ranman256, Thank you for your help.

There is currently only one table linked and I confirmed that the FEs do not have any local tables.

Provided Answers: 24
    Then how 'bout ...

1.rights for users to add on the server side.
    2. rights to add on the ODBC connection
    3. rights to add in the form

(you gotta fight....for your rights...)

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I have been trying to figure out the rights and not having much luck.

1) I believe they have read / write access on the server, they can edit the BE if it is opened directly.

2) I am not sure on the ODBC rights, is that only applicable with SQL servers? Right now I do not have a server, I just have the BE on a shared (SharePoint) server although I have it mapped through the network not the sharepoint site with the FE linked to the BE. Do I need to set up a formal server? I tried to set up a new SQL server but I don't think I have the rights on my network.

3) For the form right, everything I am finding online is saying that it is not an option in Access 2010, so I am guessing they have the rights (they are using the same exact copy of the FE that I am using with out problems)

Thank you for your help

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughAshlar307 View Post

...it seems that the data is being temporarily saved somewhere since that local front end will still see and can search for the data entered until it is restarted when the data is then lost. Other users can not see this lost data at all...
    This sounds suspiciously as though the DataEntry Property of the Form is set to Yes. When this is the case

1. User can enter New Records
    2. User can view New Records that have just been created
    3. Other users can ever view these Records
    4. When the Form is next opened these recently added Records are gone

Sound familiar? Despite its name, the DataEntry Property of the Form does not have to be set to Yes for New Records to be entered! You only need for the AllowAdditions Property to be set to Yes/True

If the DataEntry Property of the Form is, indeed, set to Yes, change it to No.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Hi Missinglinq,

Yes, that sounds very familiar! Thanks for pointing me to the DataEntry and AllowAdditions Properties; unfortunately I am a bit of a noob and don't know how to adjust (or even see) these properties. Can you point me in the right direction?

Edit: Never mind, I found the property and it was set correctly

Thanks,
    RoughAshlar307
    Last edited by RoughAshlar307; 10-30-14 at 19:32.

Provided Answers: 19
    In Form Design View

• Go to Properties - Data
    • Set the DataEntry Property to No
    • Set the AllowAdditions Property to Yes

Users can now enter New Records and see existing Records.

If you want the Form to open, each time, to a New Record, but still be able to go to existing Records, you can place this code in the Form's code window:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
      DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    End Sub

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007