Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Pdf converted code request

Hello folks,

By any chance have some one had found or wrote code to convert certain data from BD in pdf?

I have been using a pdf printer like bullzip, but I would like to avoid third parties software to complete my goal.

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hello.

Yes and no, there are limitation.

The method your using right now is the only one that allows you to print reports created with the report designer to a Virtual Printer.

You can however use the Export function to generate HTML pages which in turn can be sent to an exe silently that will generate the PDF file. The operator will never know. They will simply see a PDF file generated.

The limitation however using this method is HTML pages are nowhere near as flexible as the report designer. You need to be a HTML Ninja to get some really great results and even at that you will still never get close to the flexibility of the actual report designer. Many report functions cannot be mapped to a HTML page also, plus you will have formatting issues at the end of each page.

So, long story short, the way your doing it right now is the best option until such time as Brilliant Database actually add a true print to PDF function to the software.

Personally, I prefer Primo PDF as my Virtual PDF printer.
    Regards
    James

Well, definitely I'm not a HTML Ninja so now it's matter of time or find a good VB script that can do the process.

Thank you Tubbritt.

Provided Answers: 17
    A VB Scrip won't give you any more advantage over a HTML page. The problem is that a “report styles” can only output directly to the printer spool.

To output to anything else, you have to code using export templates which is nowhere near as flexible as report styles.

The only way to make full use of the layout flexibility you get with a report style is if Brilliant Database themselves add this feature to the software.

Which is highly possible to happen at some point as it's function that is needed probably by everyone who uses the software.

Regards
    James

Thank you Tubbritt for sharing your knowledge.