Hello,

Recently a scheduled job started returning this error when connecting to another Oracle server using a DB link (they are both Oracle 11g):

ORA-12660: Encryption or crypto-checksumming parameters incompatible

It was mentioned to me that encryption had been turned on over the weekend. I was able to look at the SQLNET.ORA file on the server we can’t connect to and this is the only security information that was there (no seed / salt / hash is ever listed anywhere in the file) :

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE)

#ENCRYPTION
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER = required
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_SERVER = (AES256, AES192, AES128)

#INTEGRITY CHECKING
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER = required
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_SERVER = (SHA1, MD5)

All of our client machines in our organization (Oracle client installed) are still able to connect to the newly encrypted server though, and basically have nothing in their SQLNET.ORA files. Literally the files have this as their contents:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

The server that we have which can’t connect to the other server is the Standard Edition of Oracle (not Enterprise). After some brief research, my understanding is that we need Advanced Security Options (ASO) on our server to be able to link to the other server but that this option is only available with the Enterprise edition of Oracle (it is included with the Oracle Client for free though). Can anyone confirm that? Also, can anyone offer any workarounds for this issue? If we do need features that only come with the Enterprise edition of Oracle, can we also install the Oracle Client on our DB server and run our Scheduled jobs linking to the other DB through that?

Thank you!