Unanswered: Always on Availability

SQL Server 2012 EE SP2.

Hi All,
    Do you need to enable Always on Availabilty on all the instances or only the instance you need to ?. We have 4 instances on a 5 node cluster and we only need one instance for the Always on to be enabled. Do we need to enable on all 4 instances ?

Provided Answers: 11
    Well, you don't need to, but if you do not enable it, then those instances will not be able to host replicas of the database(s) you want to enroll in AlwaysOn. What you describe sounds similar to setting up a one node cluster. You can do it, but you don't get a lot of benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    Well, you don't need to, but if you do not enable it, then those instances will not be able to host replicas of the database(s) you want to enroll in AlwaysOn. What you describe sounds similar to setting up a one node cluster. You can do it, but you don't get a lot of benefit from it.
    Thanks for the reply. We are trying to setup this from 5 node 4 instance cluster to another cluster with 2 nodes 1 instance in the same domain/subnet.

Provided Answers: 11
    I have not tried to set up a large AwaysOn setup for a while, but I am pretty sure that all of the replicas need to be on the same cluster, so that the network resource is able to fail over to any of the replicas as needed. I could be wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I have not tried to set up a large AwaysOn setup for a while, but I am pretty sure that all of the replicas need to be on the same cluster, so that the network resource is able to fail over to any of the replicas as needed. I could be wrong, though.

That was my argument too with the manegement but they insist it would work. We will see.................Thanks for the reply..................
    Last edited by cdx28; 10-17-14 at 14:51.