Unanswered: Import Error - Unable to open database

I am getting this error when I try to import csv, qpw, or xls files into Paradox. This is a recent error, I haven't seen it until this week. I don't think any configuration has been changed.

Any ideas?

Since it is just a list of email addresses, I opened it in Quattro Pro with the idea of saving to DB format. That is a dead end too. I get a different error on that. It tells me: "The private directory path is invalid". I didn't know that QP had a private directory, and if it does, can't find a place to set that.

Thanks,

Kirk

are you getting any other errors? is this happening within an app, or interactively? single-user or network use? if network, happening everywhere, or just one user? where are the files you're trying to open? etc, etc ,etc..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

I have
    Windows 7 (64)
    BDE 5.01
    Paradox 9 (9.00.368)
    Paradox 10 (10.00.517)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    are you getting any other errors?
    Well, Paradox crashes sometimes when I close a form. (both 9 and 10)
    On my computer, I occasionally get the error "Could not initials BDE" - You have attempted to open a database that is in use by someone else, but the database cannot be shared. You must set the location for the .NET control file. This usually happens when I close 9 and try to open 10. Feel like 9 might have not closed cleanly.

On all Computers, I have the .NET file set in the BDE to: S:\Netfiles (S:\ is a files server in the backroom and all computers on the network have S:\ mapped the same way)

is this happening within an app, or interactively?
    Interactively when I go to File/Import/Import/Text select the file and the type, and accept the db default for import, click Import.... Import Error - Unable to open database.

single-user or network use?
    Network, see above.

if network, happening everywhere, or just one user?
    On my computer, I just imported the same file on another computer using Paradox 9.
    Paradox 10 on that computer threw an entirely different and mysterious error when I clicked The import button in the import dialog.
    File Import - An error was triggerd in the 'empty' method of an object TCursor type #FormData1:action::0

where are the files you're trying to open?
    The files are on my computer on the desktop. It is basically a list of bounced emails that are in CSV. I need to convert to DB so I can subtract them from my email list to purge bounced emails. Something I a have been doing for years. I think install is broken on this computer somehow.

Thanks,

Kirk
    Last edited by kirkdickinson; 10-18-14 at 13:49.

you'll get more help on the community newsgroup, of course, but a quick thought..

depending on how the csv was made, could there be stray tabs or carraige returns that are causing errors with specific records? if you open the csv in excel, do you see anything weird?

copy / paste your whole previous reply to the community site www.thedbcommunity.com/support
    --

Oasis Trading Post

I have tried CSV with one line created in notepad. Still the same error.

hey Kirk.. did you solve it? haven't seen your post on the community site..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Steve, Didn't see any type of forum at the community site, only a link to a newsgroup. I haven't used newsgroups in years and don't even have a reader set up. Is that how the community site works? Newsgroups only?

Kirk

Most of us dinosaurs still use the newsgroups, but you should be able to just do it from web site, same page