Unanswered: Best way to learn.

Hello.

First of all sorry if this is not posted where it should.

Before you answer, you should know that I have no previous experience with databases, no previous training of any kind, everything is self thought in the last 4 - 5 months, currently I am working at a helpdesk and most of my activity revolves around doing CRUD scripts in a Oracle database. I want to progress a bit and start learning more about PL SQL. There are plenty of resources on the web to start learning from what I could find but my main issue right now is what to learn, I don't know where to start.

My plan for now is to start building a small database (3 - 5 tables) and get a better understanding of normalization and foreign keys, since right for me is just at the concept level. after that start implementing some data constraints on the table, and move on to triggers, stored procedures, ect and develop from there, maybe build some forms to connect to the server ? (or I am to ambitions to start with ?)

I installed a MS SQL Server on my pc with an Adventure Work and trying to get the hang of it., but before I continue with this I would like to know if working on if working with MS SQL Server is a "bad" idea or should I install an Oracle database. (is it that big of a difference that would otherwise impact my learning? I am referring to coding, is such a big difference between T and PL SQL?).
    Basically, what I need here is the order that I should learn it and what would be the most organic way.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Saying that Oracle & MS SQL Server are both RDBMS, it is like saying both oil & water are both liquids.
    Knowing how one behaves won't necessarily let you know/guess how the other behaves.

More often than not, only the most senior and experienced folks ever need to design & worry about data normalization.

PL/SQL is just wrapper code around plain SQL. If you can't write high performance SQL, then with PL/SQL you'll have sub-optimal code too. Realize that only plain SQL ever interacts with data within the database. PL/SQL never, ever directly touches data in the database.

Consider starting by answer problems posted in SQL & PL/SQL subforum at URL below.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/f/1/
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerallied View Post
    I want to progress a bit and start learning more about PL SQL. (...) I installed a MS SQL Server on my pc
    These two statements collide. Why did you install MS SQL Server if you want to learn PL/SQL?!? I'd suggest you download and install Oracle 11g Express Edition which will perfectly suit your PL/SQL training needs.

Provided Answers: 54
    As everyone has pointed out, Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle are similar in some respects but they are quite different products.

You need to use whichever tool you have available, so if you have either Microsoft SQL or Oracle already available, then use that instead of installing a fresh sever. Based purely on my experience helping people learn to use SQL, if you're on your own (without either a running SQL server or experienced DBAs to help you get started) you'll get a lot farther a lot faster if you use the Microsoft product. Both Oracle and Microsoft make good database engines, but the Microsoft product is far simpler to install correctly for a user with little or no experience, and it is also far easier to find another geek that can help with Microsoft install issues if you have any.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.