Angry Unanswered: MS Access database runs on my pc but not other pcs?

Anyone know why my Access 2007 database(resident on network) works perfectly well on my pc but when attempting to run it from another users pc the forms and reports won't run unless I edit them on their pc and save them? I have an autoexec which executes a switchboard form and that fires up ok both on my pc and on their pc's but it all stops there. Clicking on buttons that should load forms and reports don't do anything. I don't get any error messages.

The db is split with backend on network drive and front end at a different network location. Works fine for me but not others. All code compiles fine, I have the minimum security setting for macro so anything is allowed, i've tried renaming the db to all of the various filename extensions and they all behave the same.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    in my experience Access doesn't just sit there and do nothing. if its hitting a fault then at some point that will be reported

what error message if any are you getting. if you aren't have you turned off error reporting (used on error resume next), if so clear that as soon as the reason for using it ends

how have you linked to the back.. using a server share (\\servername\path\to\file.ext) or a driver letter. if its a drive letter is the same physical drive mapped to the same logical drive letter

is the front end deployed as a MDE/ACCDE or a MDB/ACCDB

do you run any code to verify the front end can connect to the back end. there is some code (IIRC in the codebank, but if not in the Sybex Developer handbook) which will handle that for you.

what happens if you (temporarily override the autoexec macro and see what the application does
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you for your swift response.

I don't get any error messages, upon clicking a button that should open a form or run a report, nothing happens. It seem as though the system halts or is halted at the point just after loading up the switchboard but I know this isn't the case because the db operates perfectly well so long as the offending items have been opened up in design and saved.

I initially had the db as a single accdb file and suffered the exact same symptoms.

I had intended on splitting the single file anyway so I went ahead and did this manually as the wizard couldn't do it.

I finished up with the front end being an accde file and the backend being an accdb file. Again exactly the same symptoms works fine on my pc but not on others unless they go into design and save all forms and reports. I even renamed the split files to FE=mde and BE=mda and remapped tables etc.. again, works perfectly fine on my pc but not on other pc's.

I bypassed the Autoexec and again same symptoms.

I changed the Autoexec to point to a new form with no code and just a button which opens one of the forms and again worked perfectly fine on my pc but not on other pc's exactly the same symptoms.

I don't have any verification code to determine fe/be connection. I don't think the problem has anything to do with whether the file is split or single db.

Provided Answers: 14
    Did you try to recompile the project on the machines where it does not work?
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    As said before Ive yet to see Access sit there vegetatively doing nothing.
    Assuming that the installations of Access on the other machines is 'right' ie complete and not lacking elements..

something somewhere is causing a problem

start with simple stuff
    prove there is a connection tot he data
    show some rows on a form

check your code and or macros to see if you have used an error handler, and if so reset it after use

if the worst comes to the worst write to a logfile, OR have a debug mode which displays text on the screen.
    you need to identify why your code isn't doing what you expect
    "it does not work" isn't and never will be a good enough description of the problem

I don't think the problem has anything to do with whether the file is split or single db.
    you may well be right, but untill you've proved the data is there you are just guessing.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundhouse69 View Post

...I finished up with the front end being an accde file...exactly the same symptoms works fine on my pc but not on others unless they go into design and save all forms and reports.
    How do they 'go into design' if they it's an accde file?

My guess would be that in the copy of Access on your box the Folder holding the file has been declared as 'Trusted,' but this hasn't been done with Access on the errant PCs.

If you're working on an Access file, in an installment of Access where the file's folder has not been declared as 'Trusted,' you can diddle around in Design View, then run a Form, and it'll work! But if you close it and try re-opening it, in Form View, not going through Design View first, it just sits there.

BTW, you've got to get that Front End off of the server and place a copy of it on each user's PC; the problems experienced with the setup you currently have can be as bad as using a non-split database!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Did you try to recompile the project on the machines where it does not work?
    No I didn't try this but i'll give it a go. I'll let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    How do they 'go into design' if they it's an accde file?

My guess would be that in the copy of Access on your box the Folder holding the file has been declared as 'Trusted,' but this hasn't been done with Access on the errant PCs.

If you're working on an Access file, in an installment of Access where the file's folder has not been declared as 'Trusted,' you can diddle around in Design View, then run a Form, and it'll work! But if you close it and try re-opening it, in Form View, not going through Design View first, it just sits there.

BTW, you've got to get that Front End off of the server and place a copy of it on each user's PC; the problems experienced with the setup you currently have can be as bad as using a non-split database!

Linq ;0)>
    Hi Linq thank you for your input.

I've tried various scenarios regarding file location and Trustcentre settings on my PC and the other PCs but without success. The current installation of Access on all pc's has a local directory listed under trust settings, this is where I put my Front End file. I also nominated the network location as a Trust Centre area which is where my Back End file is located. Still without success. I have also, just while testing changed macro settings to allow all macro's etc.. even though this isn't a requirement when using Trust centre.

For more information, my initial design and build of the database wasn't done in a nominated Trust Centre location and it runs perfectly well. So whether single db, split db, local FE, network BE for me everything works fine. But on other pc's it behaves exactly as you describe 'it just sits there' but it does still run the Autoexec and opens up the Switchboard so it's not totally blocked. It only seems to affect the forms and reports (with the exception of the switchboard which is opened via the Autoexec) on other PCs, from those other PCs, once I open them up in Design and then Save, everything functions perfectly well on those PCs.

I am at a loss as to why the only thing that seems to work is Opening and Saving the forms and reports on all PCs. This is just simply impractiacle to maintain especially as this Db is still under developement. It is worth noting that I am working with dummy data and want others to beta test. This is how this problem arose.

Thanks.

Workaround

Just to let you guys know I came up with a solution to my problem, all be it a workaround. I put some code in that opens each form and report in turn, adds a control, save and close, opens again, deletes the same control and save / close again. This works, I no longer have to visit each machine and open up and and save every report and form manually, I deploy any updates via batch file and this routine triggers if the revision has changed. I still don't know why my db won't run unless editing all forms and reports on every users machine but this was my way of solving the the problem rightly or wrongly.

Thanks for all the help.