Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    48

    Unanswered: Unexplained Record In Query

    I have a single non-normalized table which is being used to populate the other tables in my database. This table contains the data found in my iTunes XML file. There are 8899 records in this table. I'm in the process of building the query that I will use to populate the media table. This is the table that contains file level information so the record count of this table should be 8899 records. However my query returns 8900 records. One record difference. The query uses a combination of the normalized tables and the source table to gather the needed information and relate non-normalized data to normalized data. In other words gather the keys related to the non-normalized data like ArtistID, TitleID and MediaTypeID. I'm at a lose to explain this single record difference as all other record counts I've seen while building this query are exactly what they should be. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this single record offset in my query?
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 11-01-14 at 00:50.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    495
    Provided Answers: 24
    Using the query giving 8900, make another query of that query to COUNT the indexs (or filenames) and sort count descending.
    This will give you what is the extra rec and you can track down why it shows twice.
    (or its a new rec)???

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    48
    Thank you for your reply. I have found the source of my problem. It was a "duplicate album" with a different release year. My DB takes into account the possibility of an artist having more than one album with the same title. This may sound unlikely but the situation exists. I made a slight error while trying to import thr data and have corrected the problem. The record count is now accurate.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    its actually quite likely.
    sometimes the same album is released in different versions in different countries
    if you've used a service such as Gracenote or similar to find the album details (tracks etc) then most of that is user contributed data (not record company data) so its dependant on what the users put in
    AFAIK there is no definitive global register of all music output.

    you may also find issues with what is notionally the same album but with a different track listing (so called 'bonus' tracks')
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    48
    No, in my case, I'm not speaking of Remasters and those types of releases. I'm speaking of two completely different albums with the same title and a completely different set of tracks. In my case it turned out to be a pair of albums by Collective Soul. Both are self-titled. I've run into some of the other issues you spoke of as well. Tagger programs can give some unexpected results, especially with regard to release years. The long and short of it is my base tables are now complete. I still have a few issues with my Media Types Genre Types and Genre tables. I hope to have them sorted out quickly. Again, thanks for the assist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •