Unanswered: Good SQL Server books for beginner

Hi.I am learning SQL Server in hope to get a job as dba.I'm early in my learning process.I watched some youtube videos and
    became familiar with basic queries,syntax and etc.My question is how to continue from now on?What are some good books(or other online resources) to learn about SQL Server and especially operational side of it(such as backup/restore, performance tuning, and security administration) .I'm learning by my own and any guidance really would be appreciated.Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    It is relatively expensive, but the best answer by a HUGE margin is http://PluralSight.com which has the best online training that I've seen anywhere, and an extensive selection for SQL Server. There are literally thousands of courses with tens of thousands of hours of quality training. There are free samples, so I'd strongly recommend that you try them before you look anywhere else.

There are many books, videos, classes, etc. for learning about SQL Server and the related products/tools/etc. Without a more specific destination in mind, I can't think of anything except Plural Sight that covers every possible base.

Tell us a bit about your "dream job" and we may be able to give you more specific references that address the things that you'll need to learn for that particular job.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 1
    One book that got me into my current current career was Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes and the more comprehensive Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours. That being said, I would utilize the vast online resources first since many are free.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    It is relatively expensive, but the best answer by a HUGE margin is http://PluralSight.com which has the best online training that I've seen anywhere, and an extensive selection for SQL Server.
    -PatP
    PatP, I've been checking out PluralSight. It looks interesting and I think I am going to try out the free trial when I get back from the PASS Summit. Is it generally just powerpoint style videos or is there interactivity as well (where you can actually write code like www.codecademy.com)?

Provided Answers: 10
    Simply SQL - Rudy Limeback

Fantastic book for learning the SQL language - I would recommend it to anyone!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 6
    I like to dive head first into things. If a kid fresh out of school showed up to my shop wanting to know how to code SQL for SQL Server, I would drop Itzik Ben-Gan books on him. If he wanted to learn to be a DBA, I have not been paying great attention to that stuff lately, but I would send him Paul Randal's way. Rudy's book is good too.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 6
    +1 with Itzik Ben-Gan and in introduction to SQL book. I also like the Database Processing text book by pearson vue. Very good read, stays somewhat agnostic but leans to T-SQL.

Provided Answers: 54
    You're at the Summit ??? Find me before you go home!

I'll make a point of stopping by the Community Zone (between the dining hall and the Exhibitor area, right outside the bookstore)before heading toward the final Keynote.

Plural Sight has a booth in the Exhibitor area (back near VMware, near the Massage area). If you get there before you see me, tell them that I sent you and that you need to see a course demo. They may also give you a "better than normal" demo if you ask nicely!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.