Unanswered: Downgrade from Workgroup to Express edition

Hi,

i have an existing database V9.5 with a Workgroup license
    I need to downgradee that to Express edition.

What do i have to do?

Provided Answers: 18
    Find a different environment on which to test the migration carefully before it happens, ensuring that you also verify the application works correctly, and that you have a back-out plan.

Before doing anything, securely backup your current database and keep the backup safe.

Your db2-express edition will most likely (if you download it recently) be at a higher version than v9.5, for example it may be db2 version 10.5.

If you already have a v10.1 express edition installable then it makes things easier because it's possible to upgrade directly from V9.5 to V10.1 during a database restore or 'upgrade database' command.

However, if you only have a V10.5 express edition, then it is not possible to *directly* upgrade from v9.5 in a single step (you have to go via either v9.7 or v10.1 first, and from there to v10.5).

Carefully study the instructions provided by IBM at this roadmap page:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21200005

Pay attention to the planning, and consequences and implications of various functional changes in the product, as IBM documents, as these may impact your application or related jobs. That's why it's important to have a separate testing environment.

Depending on your database size it might be faster to avoid backup/restore and instead create a new database on v10.5 express edition, deploy db2look captured DDL to the new database (captured from the v9.5 database) modified where necessary, then use a tool like db2move to copy the table contents from the old database to the new database.

Sucess will depend on your detailed planning and capacity to understand IBM's instructions...

Quote Originally Posted by martinom1 View Post
    Hi,

i have an existing database V9.5 with a Workgroup license
    I need to downgradee that to Express edition.

What do i have to do?
    Forgot to say that i want to stay at 9.5 and am not able to reinstall the software (i do not have an 9.5 DVD anymore).
    Is this possible?

Provided Answers: 18
    Only if you can find a v9.5 express-C license file...and if your present version lets you remove the present license and add the express-c license file. I've never done that (and you've not explained your motivation for this, or why you refuse to upgrade).

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    Only if you can find a v9.5 express-C license file...and if your present version lets you remove the present license and add the express-c license file. I've never done that (and you've not explained your motivation for this, or why you refuse to upgrade).
    Reasons are simple:
    - no update because appication is not developed anymore
    - Express-C to cut license costs