Retrive data from a sybase db and put into something else

Hi all,

I you have read this question already, sorry but I moved it from "introduce yourself",
    I need advice how to do this (if possible at all). I want to use something like MariaDB, MySQL or postgresql for doing it.

My issue is related to a Identity management system that use a couple of Sybase databases to retrieve information from to setup accounts into a LDAP catalog, all well and fine. But now there is time to upgrade the IDM system and the the connectors to the Sybase db wont work in the new system. To get the new piece of software to work the owner of the Sybase db has to create new views, witch for some reason is both expensive and time consuming. So the owner of the IDM project was pondering if there was a way to retrieve the information from sybase and to put it in a new database like MariaDB, Mysql or Postgresql?
    So it's not a question about migrating from Sybase to something else, we want to get data from sybase and to put it into a other database and by doing so get the information we are interested in.
    Can you do that directly from a database or do you have to use a client that run the query, format the data and store it into a new database?
    Any suggestions or pointers to better place to ask the question?

/Lennart

Quote Originally Posted by lelle View Post
    So it's not a question about migrating from Sybase to something else, we want to get data from sybase and to put it into a other database
    This is called migration. Until you determine exactly what will be your target database, your question can only be answered generally: yes.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    This is called migration. Until you determine exactly what will be your target database, your question can only be answered generally: yes.
    Well Ok, perhaps that is migration thats fine with me. My point was more that it was not a one time event and we wanted to move to a different database.
    It seems to be possible in most databases, MariaDB has something thats called connect engine that might be what we are looking for.
    Anyway thanks for helping out.

/Lennart

You can easily extract previous db and could easily update new one.
    Last edited by Messilionel; 11-12-15 at 02:13.