Unanswered: Unique index creation failure is not clearing disk space

Hi,

While trying to create unique index on a table with 80 Million and 60 Million records in it. The job failed twice with error message of disk full. after the first failure I tried truncating both the tables and checked the disk size it had the same size of 100% full. Then tried locating files greater than 1GB which yielded /opt/datafiles/db2inst1/NODE0000/DBNAME/T0000003/C0000000.LRG occupying the 90% of the disk space. Then I truncated all other tables still the size was being shown as same.

what am I missing here?

Thanks for your help!!

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

DB2 doesn't free a space in the DMS tablespaces automatically. You have do it explicitly.
    Try to run the command which is returning as a result of the following select statement and check the container size afterwards.
    Code:
    select 
    '-- it''s expected that the tablespace size will be reduced by '||int((t.tbsp_usable_pages-t.tbsp_used_pages)*t.tbsp_page_size/power(2, 20))||' mb afterwards'
    ||chr(10)||'alter tablespace '||t.tbsp_name||' reduce max'
    from 
      table(mon_get_tablespace(null, -1)) t
    , table(mon_get_container(null, -1)) c
    where c.container_name='/opt/datafiles/db2inst1/NODE0000/DBNAME/T0000003/C0000000.LRG'
    and c.tbsp_id=t.tbsp_id
    Last edited by mark.b; 11-08-14 at 07:58.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.b View Post
    Hi,

DB2 doesn't free a space in the DMS tablespaces automatically. You have do it explicitly.
    Try to run the command which is returning as a result of the following select statement and check the container size afterwards.
    Code:
    select 
    '-- it''s expected that the tablespace size will be reduced by '||int((t.tbsp_usable_pages-t.tbsp_used_pages)*t.tbsp_page_size/power(2, 20))||' mb afterwards'
    ||chr(10)||'alter tablespace '||t.tbsp_name||' reduce max'
    from 
      table(mon_get_tablespace(null, -1)) t
    , table(mon_get_container(null, -1)) c
    where c.container_name='/opt/datafiles/db2inst1/NODE0000/DBNAME/T0000003/C0000000.LRG'
    and c.tbsp_id=t.tbsp_id
    Hi Mark - Thanks for your help with this.

I did run the query and I got the below result. I am not sure how to proceed from this point? Can you please point how to proceed from here? I am not a DBA and there is no DBA available to help me here.

it's expected that the tablespace size will be reduced by 11685 mb afterwards
    alter tablespace TBS4K reduce max

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

As I suggested before, try to run the following command and check the container size afterwards.
    Code:
    Regards,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.b View Post
    Hi,

As I suggested before, try to run the following command and check the container size afterwards.
    Code:
    Thanks, Yes, I figured out but only after posting the comment(a bit slow to understand things )

Anyway, Thank you very much for your help. it is clearing the space