DB Relationships

Hello,

I was trying to figure out how to plan a DB as per following:

I have a set of students and each one is studying some topics like maths, physics, biology, English and so on

Each group of topics belongs to a macro group ( maths, physic to group A , biology and English to group B )

For each topic a students gets a mark ( good, bad, average )

The problem is that if I have a table "students" and another table "Marks" in this last table I should have:

ID, STUDENT_ID, MATH, PHYSIC, BIOLOGY, ENGLISH
    1 1 good bad good good

Now to split the topics in different areas should I build different tables ( AREA1, AREA2 ) containing the topics and linking them to students table ?

Thank you !

Personally, I would create 3 tables
    1. Student Table
    2. Class Table
    3. Marks Table

Once you create the proper relationships between the tables, you can then input the data where it belongs, then you will be able to reference/query the student and show what class/mark that student received.

or better yet a table for:-
    Students
    Courses
    (an optional [intersection] table that identifies what courses a student is registered on
    [an intersection table] StudentAssessments, that identifies what courses a studen has been assessed in (and what grading they got

there is a very similar question to this posted in the last couple of weeks, and probably approximately a year ago......
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton