Unanswered: Sql server 2012 reintsalling

Hi All,
    Do i need to uninstall Sql server 2012 completely, to run the setup again? Our Back end, is having Sql server 2005, sql server 2008 and sql server 2012. In sql server 2012 several of our live databases are running. But we are in a situation, where we need to reinstall the sql server 2012, with the same instance name. is it possible to do it without uninstalling the exisiting installation.. If i select the repair option, will it affect the live databases? Do I have to restore the database, after the re-installation?

Thanks To all In advance.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm not completely clear on what you want to accomplish, but if you want to either change a default SQL instance (with no instance name at all) or to change the name of the SQL Server instance, then you probably need to have some scheduled down time.

Without a clearer understanding of what you have now and what you want to have when you are done, I can't give you clear steps to get from one state to the other.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I'm not completely clear on what you want to accomplish, but if you want to either change a default SQL instance (with no instance name at all) or to change the name of the SQL Server instance, then you probably need to have some scheduled down time.

Without a clearer understanding of what you have now and what you want to have when you are done, I can't give you clear steps to get from one state to the other.

-PatP
    THank you for your reply.

When SQL server 2012 was installed, it was not done properly .I am not sure what happened with that installation at that time.
    So while trying to open Sql server 2012 management studio, an error is showing,that, sql server 2012 is not installed properly. So what we are doing now, is open sql server 2008 management studio , to see all the live databases and the version is (MSSQL11.EPICDB),(11.0.3128.0). I know it sounds weird.

we are in the stage of implementing ERP for our company. At one of the software configuring stage, we are getting error.Actually its a financial reporting tool, a part of our whole ERP. Only way to rectify that issue is to reinstall SQL SERVER 2012.

since a lot of live databases are running in this instance, my concern, is do i have to uninstall this instance and install it again? Or can it be done, by doing the repair, for this instance(MSSQL11.EPICDB), while holding all the databases.

Thanks In advance.

Provided Answers: 54
    The answer is still the ever popular "It depends" with the informatiton that you've provided so far. Depending on the error being reported by SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and the underlying problems with your installation, you may need to do a repair, a client tools re-install (which will only affect the users of Windows on the machine running your SQL Server), or possibly a complete re-install of SQL 2012.

If you have SQL 2008 SSMS on the same Windows machine as your SQL 2012 production instance, I'd recommend doing a complete re-install of everything starting with Windows. Based on the questions that you are asking, you should not be running two different versions of SQL Server on the same Windows machine.

I would strongly encourage you to get a consultant involved that is experienced in these matters. You are standing up a new ERP, you have a lot of "moving pieces" to track, and this database is in an unknown state... Consultants are expensive compared to most employees, but they are cheap compared to either a catastrophic failure at go live or worse yet ongoing data loss. At this point you really need someone under NDA who can review your whole architecture and resolve the problem or problems with this server.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    The answer is still the ever popular "It depends" with the informatiton that you've provided so far. Depending on the error being reported by SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and the underlying problems with your installation, you may need to do a repair, a client tools re-install (which will only affect the users of Windows on the machine running your SQL Server), or possibly a complete re-install of SQL 2012.

If you have SQL 2008 SSMS on the same Windows machine as your SQL 2012 production instance, I'd recommend doing a complete re-install of everything starting with Windows. Based on the questions that you are asking, you should not be running two different versions of SQL Server on the same Windows machine.

I would strongly encourage you to get a consultant involved that is experienced in these matters. You are standing up a new ERP, you have a lot of "moving pieces" to track, and this database is in an unknown state... Consultants are expensive compared to most employees, but they are cheap compared to either a catastrophic failure at go live or worse yet ongoing data loss. At this point you really need someone under NDA who can review your whole architecture and resolve the problem or problems with this server.

-PatP
    Thanks you Pat Phelan