Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: fill in box based on two previous boxes

Ok, I'm getting some where on this database. Now I would like to have access automatically fill in a box based on TWO previous boxes. We have different fees based on whether the family is in or out of parish and there are different fees depending on how many kids they have. So I'd like to be able to select in or out of parish and how many kids and have it automatically fill in the fee. I've found cascading combo boxes, but the directions I've found are only based on the previous box, where I need it looking at two different boxes.

This isn't a big thing, but it would be nice and save mis-types. So if someone can give me an idea on how to do this, it would be great! Thanks!

Provided Answers: 19
    Presumably the number of children Field is defined as a Number. What is the Datatype of the Field that denotes whether the family is in-parish or out-of-parish...a Text Field or a Yes/No Field?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Yes, the number of children is a number and I'm almost certain the in/out of parish is a yes/no field(the database is it work, I'm at home), but I'm still at the playing around stage, so I'm not really tied to anything and can change them to whatever works best.

A Yes/No Field for the 'in-parish/out-of-parish' thing would be the only sane way to go; users would find about six different ways to enter the data if you let them free-hand it, making interpretation a mare's nest! You could use a Text Field, if you used a Combobox Control on the Form, for selection, but using a cbo when there are only two possibilities has always seemed unnecessarily awkward and overkill, to me.

I've got some free time in the morning, unless something comes up, and I'll try to work up an example for you.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Thanks for the thoughts, I'd love to see an example if you ever have a chance.

Sorry for the delay!

Are the fees, both for in-parish and out-of-parish, in a Table? They really should be, as it will make updating those fees if/when they change. If so, can you give the Table name, as well a list of the Fields along with the Datatype for each?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

No problem, I have plenty of other things I'm trying to do, so I'm certainly not waiting around for you.

The table is conveniently called "Fees". It has: "In/Out" (short text), "Number of Children" (short text), and "Fees" (currency).

Should have I have both the in and out of parish fees in one table? I don't know if you read my last thread, but I'm pretty much redesigning this database from scratch, so I can really do whatever makes things easiest, so feel free to tell me to change something if you think it would be better and/or simpler.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenElissa View Post

"In/Out" (short text), "Number of Children" (short text), and "Fees" (currency)...
    All fees should be in a single Table, as you currently have it. The 'In/Out' Field should be changed to a Yes/No Field, probably with it being ticked to indicate In-Parish. The "Number of Children" needs to be defined as a Number Datatype/Integer. Not sure whether you're running version 2010 or 2013, so the Datatype names may be slightly different. Have no idea why the Boys of Redmond feel the need to change basic things like Datatype names; apparently some of think that Change = Progress, which frequently is incorrect!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    All fees should be in a single Table, as you currently have it. The 'In/Out' Field should be changed to a Yes/No Field, probably with it being ticked to indicate In-Parish.
    Yes, that makes sense, although I think the check will be for out of parish.

The "Number of Children" needs to be defined as a Number Datatype/Integer. Not sure whether you're running version 2010 or 2013, so the Datatype names may be slightly different. Have no idea why the Boys of Redmond feel the need to change basic things like Datatype names; apparently some of think that Change = Progress, which frequently is incorrect!

Linq ;0)>
    Ok, I had it set as short text as the last number is for 3+ kids, but now that I think about it, it makes more sense to enter the exact number of kids and just have the fee be the same for the last few numbers.

And I'm running 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post

...can you give the Table name, as well a list of the Fields along with the Datatype for each...
    Will try to work something up, for you, if you can supply the above. No rush, though; know that you're multi-tasking!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Ok, I'm back. It has been a crazy few weeks between being sick, holidays, and protests (I live in St. Louis), but I think I've caught up on everything else.

The Table is called "Fees". It has "Fee ID" (AutoNumber), "In/Out" (Yes/No), "Number of Children" (Number), and "Fee" (Currency).

Thanks for your help!