Thread: match tables

Unanswered: match tables

Hi

this my scenario. we have a manufacturing warehouse where the timber is first cut, edged worked , routerd then painted.

all jobs are printed on labels. what i need done is that when each section complete a job example its cut they scan the barcode which then put the unique id and date in the table. so there will be about 6 tables.

so on table1 Name cut the barcode is scanned which auto inserts date and moves to next field ready for the next barcode to be scanned.

then the same thing for edge worked table the barcode is scanned which auto inserts date and moves to next field ready for the next barcode to be scanned. and so on for all the tables.

then i want to be able to match up each unique id and let me know which job older then x amount of days .

Provided Answers: 59
    personally I wouldn't have a separate table for each process. I'd probably have a table for:-
    ProcessTypes (essentailly a code and a description)
    Products (generic product defintion (eg 50X100x2400 softwood)
    ProductItems (a specific product going through the factory
    ProductItemStages (which identifies whic product items (specific bits of timber) are at which stage/processtype)

It seems overly complicated... however based on this sort of design finding a product item is realtively trivial. you jsut query the ProductItemStages table to find the MAX process stage that is greater than your cutoff point.

the real advantage of this sort of approach is that flexibility. say your organisation decides to take on a new manufacturing process. in the current model you'd need an additional table, additional form. this approach (possibly) requires minor changes to the data capture form at most

I'd envisage the data capture form as the user defiens what process they are doing (using say a combo that identifies the processtype, then uses that value to insert a new row everytime a barcode is scanned

there are design issues you'd have to think about
    do you need to know the sequence of processes (to look for missing steps)
    do you need to have a pathway for products (ie product a goes throough processtypes 1,3,4,9 & 15; product B 1,2,3,10,11 & 15) and so on
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton