Unanswered: Is it possible TSA automatic failover on Windows

Hi,

We have a single standby setup on a windows(Server 2008) environment running on DB2 v10.1 Fp 4.
    I have configured TSA on AIX setup, but never on widows. If its possible to do so can you help me with the process?

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 11
    according to me, tsa is not supported on windows
    check in infocenter to confirm
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

it's possible to automate HADR with TSAMP on Windows since 9.7.4 and later.
    You can find the description of the TSA samples for 10.1 here:
    DB2 High Availability Disaster Recovery (HADR) and IBM® Tivoli System Automation for Multiplatforms (SA MP) samples (Windows)

I tried to make it work somewhere at 9.7.6 or so, but I had to significantly tweak these scripts since as far as I remember they had errors. TSA commands like lssam might simply hang 2 out of 10 times. I spent a lot of time and efforts to make it "work", but personally I would not recommend to anyone to use it in the production mode at least at that version and fixpack.
    I don't know if things have changed or not in 10.1...
    Regards,
    Mark.

Provided Answers: 1
    Why not choose the built-in cluster support in Windows Server?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

We have a shared disk cluster support with MSCS only.
    HADR is not supported with MSCS.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Provided Answers: 1
    MSCS needs a shared disk for quorum, but it does not mean that you cannot use MSCS to automate HADR failover.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I didn't say that it's not possible to use MSCS for HADR. Probably it's possible to use any clustering software to automate HADR. I said about lack of the support of out of the box solution.
    In case of MSCS there are no supported scripts/libraries/utilities for HADR like, for example, db2mscs utility for the shared disk clusters with DB2, which creates all necessary infrastructure for this.
    You have to be quite proficient in programming of Generic Script resource types and understanding when and what to do in your scripts in different situations without such an utility and/or scripts/libraries. You have to implement/debug some similar logic like in the TSA sample scripts keeping in mind the differences in both these clustering products.
    It's not too easy...
    Regards,
    Mark.