Unanswered: Alter statement on Federated Objects

Hi,

I am trying to alter a table on other database by sitting on one database. I am running with SYSADM privilege .I am using some wrappers to connect with other databases.On this scenario I can select , delete .drop etc. But alter is not working. These are the ways which I have tried, can some one let me know what I have to do in this case:

ALTER TABLE SAMPLE.ORANGE.EMP ADD COLUMN APPLE_ID INTEGER NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT 0 ;

error:

The statement or command failed because a federated three-part name is being used in a way that is not supported. Three-part name: "SAMPLE.ORANGE.EMP". Reason code: "3".. SQLCODE=-512, SQLSTATE=56023, DRIVER=3.67.28

Even I tried by placing some singl

ALTER TABLE 'SAMPLE.ORANGE.EMP' ADD COLUMN APPLE_ID INTEGER NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT 0 ;

error:
    An unexpected token "'SAMPLE.ORANGE.EMP'" was found following "ALTER TABLE ". Expected tokens may include: "<table_name>".. SQLCODE=-104, SQLSTATE=42601.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    3 part names are not supported
    which is the nickname - which is the original table
    alter the source table
    alter/recreate the nickname
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thanks for the reply,

ALTER TABLE SAMPLE.ORANGE.EMP ADD COLUMN APPLE_ID INTEGER NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT 0 ;

original name : EMP

Till now, I have created a wrapper & one server for one database to access them. I haven't created any nick names.Not met with such situation to create nicknames .

My requirement is how can i alter a table on other database by sitting on one database? If 3 part names are restricted to ALTER , how can i do this?
    please let me know

no it can not be done
    have a look at infocenter and look for create nickname
    the answer is still no
    why creating wrapper if no nicknames used ??
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

really so thank full for your patience
    I am learning all these concepts now. Just to access tables from other databases I am creating one wrapper & corresponding servers for all those databases.
    K I ll learn those nick names too.
    Can u kindly confirm me using nicknames can i able to alter the remote(own server) database tables?

I understand you are trying to learn, but before that : READ THE MANUALS
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowle.../rlsbrs25.html

Thanks.

Is there any way so that I can alter my remote database tables? I got my full privileges. I am trying to alter the remote database(same server) tables.