NEW and in need of some practical advice please

Another new joiner seeking some some practical advice please?

I would like to understand if there is any practical way in which an intelligent database can be developed that doesn't require me to buy an expensive software that is far in excess for what I need.

I run a product and price comparison website for the the UK Public Sector ( and we are being asked by a number of clients to provide an additional service some of you may have heard referred to as omni-channel sourcing (looking at multiple channels simultaneously to see if they can fulfill a purchase requirement).

In its simplest form the data is product description, manufacturer product code, unit of measure, volume of units and price per unit.

The databases can all be cleansed so they are the same format (i.e. product description, manufacturer product code, unit of measure, volume of units and price per unit). Currently I have this being done manually and its just too slow and inefficient.

In my ideal world (forgive any ignorance I have around this) I would like the following:

1. Client data to be received in a certain format as per above (already structured)
    2. Client data to then automatically be flushed against a series of databases
    3. Report to tell me what of the channel databases can meet the requirement

I am looking ideally for an in-house solution but recognize I may have to pay somebody to develop the scripts/code to make this work. I really am shooting in the dark so I would like to understand if this is possible, what software package I might need and the sort of skills I would need to buy on to make this happen.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and any pointers are very gratefully received.

There are a number of free packages out there for various purposes.

MySQL is a very popular Open Source alternative.
    SQL Server Express Edition will give you most of what SQL Server can do for free.
    Oralce Express 11g lags behind the current 12c release, but certainly can handle a wide variety of workloads.

Best thing to do is shop around for the developer(s) you will be working with, and see what kinds of databases they have worked with in the past. Each package tends to have its own peculiarities, and developers tend to prefer specializing on one of these. Picking your database to match your developers will save you on some "soft costs" of developing the application.