Thread: Script Basics

Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Script Basics

Hello Everybody.... i would like to use this opportunity to thank all who have been helpful to me and other users here. Keep on the good works. Im actually very new to the database world and i would say that im very lucky to have started with brilliant database. Scripting in Brilliant Database seem simplified but honestly i dont understand how to you go about it at all. the tutorial videos doesnt seem to help me.

what i need is how to begin with the scripting. if anybody knows a pdf or book.... or any file i can download that will help me understand scripts and queries from the very basic level. i would be very much grateful. coz it seems all my problems hover around that and well i didnt learn programing in high school but im sure there should be a way out for me.

Regards
    Evans

Provided Answers: 54
    Think of programming as writing a script for an incredibly fast but very literal minded and absolutely clue-less robot. They will do exactly what you tell them to do, but only what you tell them to do and they will do it at a frightening speed (thousands or millions of steps per second).

In Brilliant Database (and many other GUI based tools), the scripts are attached to an event. The script runs once every time the event occurs.

The http://code.org web site is sponsoring a world wide "Hour of Code" during the week of December 8-14, 2014. Try to find a local event or an online event (using the language of your choice) to get started.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 2
    Java7,
    I smiled when I read your question as I, too, STRUGGLED to make any sense of the the scripting used by Brilliant Database. To make matters worse, most people here often referenced how easy it was to script within Brilliant Database - this made me certainly feel inferior as I found it to be extremely difficult and a very convoluted process. The examples did little to aid in my 'education' but what produced the GREATEST results was the willingness of people here (namely MacHeuS and James Tubbritt) to help me with the issues I ran into. I have never seen a site whose members were so eager to honestly help others succeed!

I also inquired as to what 'language' was used by Brilliant Database - what the heck was a Recordset? I thought that I was well versed in queries (with other programs) but I had a very rough time with the queries in Brilliant Database. I still have some issues about the behavior of queries but for the most part I feel that I can navigate through and arrive at a workable solution. Slowly, with the help of the truly wonderful people here, I was able to get my database project working.

So my advice is to ask a very specific question, preferably with actual data, and the necessary guidance will appear. Hopefully, since you are just starting out, I can answer a question or two so that I can return a favor to the community that has helped me out so much!
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    I must apologise as at one point when you needed help I had to kind of drop off the internet due to my own workload and the unfortunate demise of some expensive hardware I own which had to be replaced and paid for.

So unfortunately all my time got swallowed up with my own issues. Everything is back to normal now is if I can be of any help just let me know.

As Daryl points out perfectly though, “ask a very specific question, preferably with actual data”. The clearest you can paint a picture, the easier it is to help.

Kind regards
    James

thanks alot PatP.... i checked up with the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Think of programming as writing a script for an incredibly fast but very literal minded and absolutely clue-less robot. They will do exactly what you tell them to do, but only what you tell them to do and they will do it at a frightening speed (thousands or millions of steps per second).

In Brilliant Database (and many other GUI based tools), the scripts are attached to an event. The script runs once every time the event occurs.

The http://code.org web site is sponsoring a world wide "Hour of Code" during the week of December 8-14, 2014. Try to find a local event or an online event (using the language of your choice) to get started.

-PatP

@Daryl G.... thats very encourage my brother..... at least you have given me a hope not to give up.. there are times i feel like.. why not drop all the ideas in your head but after reading your comment. wow... a real booster!!!! Gracias

Regards
    Evans
    Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    Java7,
    I smiled when I read your question as I, too, STRUGGLED to make any sense of the the scripting used by Brilliant Database. To make matters worse, most people here often referenced how easy it was to script within Brilliant Database - this made me certainly feel inferior as I found it to be extremely difficult and a very convoluted process. The examples did little to aid in my 'education' but what produced the GREATEST results was the willingness of people here (namely MacHeuS and James Tubbritt) to help me with the issues I ran into. I have never seen a site whose members were so eager to honestly help others succeed!

I also inquired as to what 'language' was used by Brilliant Database - what the heck was a Recordset? I thought that I was well versed in queries (with other programs) but I had a very rough time with the queries in Brilliant Database. I still have some issues about the behavior of queries but for the most part I feel that I can navigate through and arrive at a workable solution. Slowly, with the help of the truly wonderful people here, I was able to get my database project working.

So my advice is to ask a very specific question, preferably with actual data, and the necessary guidance will appear. Hopefully, since you are just starting out, I can answer a question or two so that I can return a favor to the community that has helped me out so much!

ive been reading posts here.... and ive come to realize that you are just here to help others. i understood that you were busy all along thats why u couldnt reach me. ive already sent you a few messages in your inbox. will be looking up to your reply

Regards
    Evans
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    I must apologise as at one point when you needed help I had to kind of drop off the internet due to my own workload and the unfortunate demise of some expensive hardware I own which had to be replaced and paid for.

So unfortunately all my time got swallowed up with my own issues. Everything is back to normal now is if I can be of any help just let me know.

As Daryl points out perfectly though, “ask a very specific question, preferably with actual data”. The clearest you can paint a picture, the easier it is to help.

Kind regards
    James