Unanswered: Creating user views in DBDL

I am having trouble defining everything I need to put into the DBDL for my model. I can create the database once I figure it out, was hoping that someone can help me. If I don't get this right then I will not be able to pass the course, even with the decent grade I have in the course, the teacher has made me so confused . the User View that I need to follow.CIT170 Database Design Project.pdf.

Provided Answers: 5
    you are talking about views, so I would think you had already built some type of sample database that has tablespace(s), tables, indexes, etc... that you have already had assignments on??? To jump straight into views seems a little odd. Have you been skipping a lot of the assignments up to this point?
    Dave

I have missed a few, the Teacher had wanted us to take a print out of user views that he designed. It consisted of an example of several people saying what they wanted the database to consist of and what they wanted to be able to look up and store. We have to design the database with tables using toad database modeler freeware, after we get the DBDL doc typed up.

He had us do different assignments dealing with all that, but this is something new, that he is wanting us to so from scratch and make a simple database from. All he gave us to work with is User views to figure out what we need to design a database with. The attachment is the user views that he gave us to work with, and that all we have for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He had us do different assignments dealing with all that, but this is something new, that he is wanting us to so from scratch and make a simple database from. All he gave us to work with is User views to figure out what we need to design a database with. The attachment is the user views that he gave us to work with, and that all we have for this project.
    I am guessing that the view are not normalized, and he expects you to create a normalized database with views that join some of the tables. So you have to reverse engineer the database. But this is just a guess on my part. In any case, your teacher expects you to think, and not just perform rote tasks, so start thinking.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Update on Assignment

He is, this is what I got for the DBDL for the user views,

UV1
    Movies (MovieID, Title, ReleaseDate, MPAARating, Type, Awards, Nominations)
    Sk Title
    UV2
    Directors (DirectorID, FirstName, LastName, Nationality)
    UV1 & UV2
    Movies(MovieID, DirectorID,Title, ReleaseDate, MPAARating, Type, Awards, Nominations)
    SK Title
    FK DirectorID
    UV3
    Actors (ActorID, FirstName, LastName, BirthDate, Nationality)
    UV4
    MovieActor (ActorID, MovieID) Linking table
    UV5
    Customers (CustomerID, FirstName, LastName, StreetAddress, City, State, ZipCode,PhoneNumber)
    UV6
    DVD*s (DVDID, CustomerID, RentDate, DueDate,)
    FK CustomerID

My question now is there any mistakes
    This is the user views we have to go by, CIT170 Database Design Project.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    I am guessing that the view are not normalized, and he expects you to create a normalized database with views that join some of the tables. So you have to reverse engineer the database. But this is just a guess on my part. In any case, your teacher expects you to think, and not just perform rote tasks, so start thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He is, this is what I got for the DBDL for the user views,

UV1
    Movies (MovieID, Title, ReleaseDate, MPAARating, Type, Awards, Nominations)
    Just looking at the first view, you need tables for Type and MPAARating to contain the allowed values. For Awards and Nominations, these are one-to-many relationships (or many-to-many). If you don't know that means, I cannot help you anymore.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Just looking at the first view, you need tables for Type and MPAARating to contain the allowed values. For Awards and Nominations, these are one-to-many relationships (or many-to-many). If you don't know that means, I cannot help you anymore.
    Thank you, I finally got it finished, had to go back over the notes and power points. Was able to get the DBDL finished and put it into an E-R Diagram. The teacher said it was ok.

Completed User Views

Movies R Us DBDL
    User View 1
    Movies (MovieID, Title, ReleaseDate, Rating, MovieType, Nominations, Awards)
    SK Title
    User View 2
    Directors(DirectorID, FirstName, LastName, Nationality)
    User Views 1 and 2
    Movies (MovieID, Title, ReleaseDate, Rating, MovieType, Nominations, Awards, DirectorID)
    SK Title
    FK DirectorID Directors
    User View 3
    Actors (ActorID, FirstName, LastName, DateOfBirth, Nationality)
    User View 4
    MovieActors (MovieID, ActorID)
    FK MovieID Movies
    FK ActorID Actors
    User View 5
    Customers (CustomerID, FirstName, LastName, Address, City, State, ZipCode, PhoneNumber)
    SK FirstName, LastName
    User View 6
    DVDs (DVDID, RentDate, DueDate, MovieID, CustomerID)
    FK MovieID Movies
    FK CustomerID Customers