Unanswered: Creating my own database from scratch based on a basketball teams statistics. Help?

Okay, I am trying to create my own database on a basketball teams statistics, including individual player stats/averages, team stats/averages, team record and schedule results. I need to have at least three tables, so obviously one would be the individual player stats with their jersey number being the primary key. What would be the best information to use for the other two tables so that they relate to the first one? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    why do you think you need 3 tables, why not 2, 4 or more.
    the number of tables required reflects the process required, the information required and so on

No I don't know much (well truth to be told anythign) about the US sports obsession with 'stats'. it just seesm a field created by ex sports starts and commentators to waffle on about.

but I woudl expect something like
    a table for players
    a table for teams
    a table that identifies what players played for what teams (its a so called intersection table)
    a table for fixtures (so you know what teams play whcihc other where and when, possibly another table that identifies a year / season
    a table for venues
    a table for stats type (wg shgots on target, 2ptr, 3 ptr, fouls, assist or whatever other metric is deemed relevant / required / important
    a table for statistics 'earned'

from that you should have a model to support virtually any query on player stats
    such as most whatever player
    most whatever team
    and so on
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    why do you think you need 3 tables, why not 2, 4 or more.
    the number of tables required reflects the process required, the information required and so on

No I don't know much (well truth to be told anythign) about the US sports obsession with 'stats'. it just seesm a field created by ex sports starts and commentators to waffle on about.

but I woudl expect something like
    a table for players
    a table for teams
    a table that identifies what players played for what teams (its a so called intersection table)
    a table for fixtures (so you know what teams play whcihc other where and when, possibly another table that identifies a year / season
    a table for venues
    a table for stats type (wg shgots on target, 2ptr, 3 ptr, fouls, assist or whatever other metric is deemed relevant / required / important
    a table for statistics 'earned'

from that you should have a model to support virtually any query on player stats
    such as most whatever player
    most whatever team
    and so on
    Thanks for the reply! I can have 4 tables, but it must be at least 3 for some odd reason. I'm doing the database on one single team, so I don't know how to relate the tables without doing a lot more more than 3. I was thinking I could do a table for the players including their personal information. A separate table with their average stats for the season. Then a table with the team schedule and results, and lastly a table with the average team stats (like the teams total points, rebounds, assists, ect). But again, I don't know how to relate these tables, besides the two player tables. The only way I would know how to have better relationships would be to have a table for each game containing the player stats for that specific game, but that would require me to make a ton of tables. What do you think I should do? Thanks.