Unanswered: trouble restarting instance - ifx_mode start fails

hi there,

i am completely new to DBA and am a junior linux admin. I've been trying to restart informix with ifx_mode start, so that I can retry a failed database import.

however the command errors out, and says check online.log. however, i am unable to find this file! i tried find, no luck.

if anyone can point me the right direction that would be great. the senior dba is out of office thanks very much!

also here is what i get:

"Bringing Instance from Off-Line to On-Line

WARNING: server initialization failed, or possibly timed out (if -w was used).
    Check the message log, online.log, for errors."

also i get this if i do onstat -

onstat -
    shared memory not initialized for INFORMIXSERVER 'ifx099'

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

ifx_mode is not a genuine Informix command, I take it is a home made script.
    To find the informix log file, and if your are above I think Informix 11.10, login as informix and type onstat -m
    this will display the end of your IFMX log file, and on top, you will have the full path of the file.

In absolute, the problem may be caused by several issues:
    1) your INFORMIXSERVER env variable is not set or has an incorrect value => you will attempt to start the wrong IFMX instance or nothing at all
    2) the engine has been stopped badly, and some SHMEM segments have not been cleaned. try to run onclean -y, or check the SHMEM segments with ipcs -m and kill the right segments (if not at ease, ask for experienced DBA)
    3) the instance is already up, and you have a wrong value for $INFORMIXSERVER env variable.

in any case, start the engine with the following command:
    export INFORMIXSERVER=the_right_value
    export ONCONFIG=the_right_value
    export INFORMIXDIR=fullPathforInformixDistribution
    export PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH
    oninit -v

this command will give you details on the startup sequence and will be more useful than the Informix log file at this point.

I take you will find all those values in the custom ifx_mode sript

He's right, there must be something wrong with the declared variables in the script.

Quote Originally Posted by begooden-it View Post
    Hi,

ifx_mode is not a genuine Informix command, I take it is a home made script.
    To find the informix log file, and if your are above I think Informix 11.10, login as informix and type onstat -m
    this will display the end of your IFMX log file, and on top, you will have the full path of the file.

In absolute, the problem may be caused by several issues:
    1) your INFORMIXSERVER env variable is not set or has an incorrect value => you will attempt to start the wrong IFMX instance or nothing at all
    2) the engine has been stopped badly, and some SHMEM segments have not been cleaned. try to run onclean -y, or check the SHMEM segments with ipcs -m and kill the right segments (if not at ease, ask for experienced DBA)
    3) the instance is already up, and you have a wrong value for $INFORMIXSERVER env variable.

in any case, start the engine with the following command:
    export INFORMIXSERVER=the_right_value
    export ONCONFIG=the_right_value
    export INFORMIXDIR=fullPathforInformixDistribution
    export PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH
    oninit -v

this command will give you details on the startup sequence and will be more useful than the Informix log file at this point.

I take you will find all those values in the custom ifx_mode sript