Reimbursement DB Design Help

Hi, I'm working on a db for reimbursement of contractors. The hourly rates depend on the case that the individual performs. Rates change over time as you would expect and these rates are set in the care_rate table.

case_rate table
    case_rate_id
    case_pay_rate
    start_dt
    end_dt

timeclock table (recording of contractor time)
    time_entry_id
    contractor_id
    time_in
    time_out
    case_id

Should the reimbursement rate be captured in the timeclock table as a fixed amount at the time of entry (by selecting from rate table) or should it contain the id of the case as shown in the timeclock table?

Alternate timeclock table (recording of contractor time)
    time_entry_id
    contractor_id
    time_in
    time_out
    case_rate (25.00 for example)

Thank you!

That kind of depends on the exacting requirements, but if I had to give you a general answer it would be to not store the value as it can easily be looked up/derived from the case_rate table.

As an extra: why name your columns "start_dt" and not "start_date"? It's 2 extra letters, not much effort considering the extra clarity provided
    George
    Home | Blog

That kind of depends on the exacting requirements, but if I had to give you a general answer it would be to not store the value as it can easily be looked up/derived from the case_rate table.

As an extra: why name your columns "start_dt" and not "start_date"? It's 2 extra letters, not much effort considering the extra clarity provided
    George
    Home | Blog